Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Fault Management Assoc Systems Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Under specific guidance from the systems engineering team support maintenance of system requirements, specifications and the requirements verification data base. Implement changes to system and subsystem architecture models and run existing models and simulations to assess system performance.
This Systems Engineering position will support the fault management and systems autonomy team in the Advanced Programs Division (APD) within the Space Systems Group at Orbital ATK. The job responsibilities will be as an individual-contributor and deliverable/product lead within a multi-disciplinary engineering team. Responsibilities will also include interaction with program, functional and customer leadership.
In this role, the Systems Engineer will perform duties contributing to general mission or space vehicle systems engineering activities, which may include requirements flow down, tracking, verification, and the writing of complex specifications, interface control documents, and engineering reports from advanced studies, special engineering investigations, and similar activities. Tasks may also include functional analyses, hazard analyses, particular risk assessments, probabilistic risk assessments, zonal hazard analyses and similar topics. Advanced modeling & analyses relating to mission and technical problems may be required in support of development or mission operations teams. The candidate must be knowledgeable in aerospace systems, spacecraft subsystems design, or mission operations with the desire to become proficient in all major areas of a spacecraft mission life cycle (design, analysis, integration & test, and operations).
The candidate should be able to study prior work, select applicable elements from prior work, determine the technical principles involved, mathematically define the problem and compute the engineering characteristics consistent with the specifications, design needs and requirements of other portions of the system, and follow up by releasing the results as design data (once reviewed by a higher graded engineer). The engineer will develop original ideas, elaborate on preliminary design concepts, evaluate completed designs with their program/functional supervisors and other technical groups, and make the necessary design modifications to achieve the best design within the program constraints. The candidate may also develop and coordinate the conduct of test programs required to evaluate design work.
Desired experience includes Requirements Management Tools such as DOORS, Cradle, or CORE, and various analysis engineering tools, such as MATLAB, MATHCAD, and STK. Actual spacecraft operations and related ground systems expertise is always a plus. Additional experience in any of the following areas is also desired: orbital mechanics, power systems modeling, avionics or digital electronics design, telecommunications design, risk analysis, thermal design and analysis, or integration and testing (either at the spacecraft or payload level).
- Evaluate design documentation and verification for compliance with customer and internally derived requirements
- Evaluate design documentation to ensure manufacturability and application of previous lessons learned
- Evaluate design documentation to provide evidence for requirement verification and hazard control verification closure
- Support mission operation tasks for Launch, Phasing, Rendezvous, Departure, Secondary Activities, and Reentry
- Evaluate System Level test results and generation reports & review packages
- Evaluate secondary payload options and perform feasibility studies for system integration of secondary payloads or secondary mission objectives
- Evaluate cargo loading and removal operations throughout the mission flow
- Provide support to selected elements of the program Systems Engineering Team
- Support and deliver SE Products and other deliverables, with a focus on mission success
- Develop/implement and communicate solutions to Engineering problems
- Contribute to the technical tasks supporting the program
- Provide systems engineering support for technical reviews
- Write status and technical performance reviews, analyses and reports
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Aptitude for understanding system and subsystem interactions
- Experience with Systems Engineering process
- Experience defining requirements & interfaces
- Understanding of spacecraft integration & test, launch, and mission operations
- Experience with human spaceflight vehicle development including integration & test
- Experience developing verification documentation
- Experience with architecture development
- Familiarity with electrical & computer systems
- Familiarity with command and telemetry database
- Experience with Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) & Matlab scripting skills
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 0-1 Year