Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Pr. Systems Engineer
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission ? whether it?s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world?s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation?s largest manufacturer of ammunition. United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
This Systems Engineering position is for an engineering support role on an Advanced Programs Division (APD) program within the Space Systems Group at Orbital ATK. The job responsibilities will be as an individual-contributor and deliverable/product lead within a multi-disciplinary engineering team. Responsibilities will also include interaction with program, functional and customer leadership.
In this role, the Systems Engineer will perform duties contributing to general mission or space vehicle systems engineering activities, which may include requirements flow down, tracking, verification, and the writing of complex specifications, interface control documents, and engineering reports from advanced studies, special engineering investigations, and similar activities. Tasks will primarily include analysis of system capability extension and Command & Telemetry database development. The candidate must be knowledgeable in aerospace systems, spacecraft subsystems design, or mission operations. Advanced analyses relating to mission and technical problems may be required in support of development or mission operations teams. Position will also include responsibilities relating to integration, testing, and operational readiness of spacecraft and payloads.
In the Data Architect role, the Systems Engineer will perform analysis, development, design, test, and maintenance of the mission database. The candidate should be able to select applicable analytical data from previous systems, determine the technical principles involved, mathematically represent the problem, and compute the engineering characteristics consistent with the specifications, design needs and requirements of other portions of the system. The candidate should also be able to follow up by releasing the results as design data with oversight from a higher-level engineer. The candidate will develop original ideas, elaborate on preliminary design concepts, evaluate completed designs with their program/functional supervisors and other technical groups, and make the necessary design modifications to achieve the best design within the program constraints. The candidate may also develop and coordinate testing required to evaluate design work.
A detailed understanding of the role of real-time embedded software applications in space systems is necessary. Actual spacecraft operations and related ground systems expertise is always a plus. Additional experience in any of the following areas is also desired: orbital mechanics, avionics or digital electronics design, telecommunications design, risk analysis, thermal design and analysis, or integration and testing (either at the spacecraft or payload level).
- Evaluate design documents and verification for compliance with customer and internally derived requirements
- Evaluate design documents to ensure feasibility and application of previous lessons learned
- Evaluate design documents to identify evidence for requirement closure
- Evaluate System Level test results and generate reports & review packages
- Evaluate secondary payload options and perform feasibility studies for system integration
- Evaluate secondary mission objectives and their impact on system design and primary objectives
- Evaluate payload integration and communications throughout the mission flow
- Provide support to selected elements of the program Systems Engineering Team
- Support and deliver SE Products and other deliverables, with a focus on mission success
- Support mission operation tasks as needed
- Troubleshoot and develop solutions to challenging Engineering problems
- Contribute to the technical management of program elements
- Provide systems engineering support for technical reviews
- Write status and technical performance reviews, analyses and reports
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience an Engineering or related field
- Seven years of related experience
- Thorough understanding of the Systems Engineering process
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Aptitude for understanding system and subsystem interactions
- Aptitude for understanding the interrelationships between hardware and software
- Strong understanding of relational database structure and utilization
- Ability to evaluate, specify, or develop software tools to enhance productivity and/or product reliability
- Experience defining requirements and interfaces
- Experience with spacecraft integration & test, launch, and mission operations
- Experience with space vehicle development including integration & test
- Experience developing verification documentation
- Experience with architecture development
- Familiarity with embedded software development methods
- Fluency in relational database application
- Understanding of software release process and mission database requirements
- Familiarity with Orbital ATK design documentation and release process
- Familiarity with MCC-Dulles Mission Control Center operations and concepts
- Master’s degree in a technical discipline (with five years of professional experience)
- Readily assimilate system concepts and integrated subsystem contributions
- Recognize issues and rapidly conceptualize solutions to them
- Maintain a continuous improvement mentality
Skills and Experiences:
- SysML, UML, STK, SQL, C/C++, DOORS, MATLAB
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products ? and your ideas ? into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you?ll be amazed at what you can do!We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years