Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Pr. Systems Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
This Systems Engineering position is for an engineering support role on an Advanced Programs Division (APD) program within the Space Systems Group at Northrop Grumman. The job responsibilities will be as an individual-contributor and deliverable/product lead within a multi-disciplinary engineering team. Responsibilities will also include interaction with program, functional and customer leadership.
In this role, the Systems Engineer will perform duties contributing to general mission or space vehicle systems engineering activities, which may include requirements flow down, tracking, verification, and the writing of complex specifications, interface control documents, and engineering reports from advanced studies, special engineering investigations, and similar activities. Tasks will primarily include analysis of system capability extension and Command & Telemetry database development. The candidate must be knowledgeable in aerospace systems, spacecraft subsystems design, or mission operations. Advanced analyses relating to mission and technical problems may be required in support of development or mission operations teams. Position will also include responsibilities relating to integration, testing, and operational readiness of spacecraft and payloads.
In the Data Architect role, the Systems Engineer will perform analysis, development, design, test, and maintenance of the mission database. The candidate should be able to select applicable analytical data from previous systems, determine the technical principles involved, mathematically represent the problem, and compute the engineering characteristics consistent with the specifications, design needs and requirements of other portions of the system. The candidate should also be able to follow up by releasing the results as design data with oversight from a higher-level engineer. The candidate will develop original ideas, elaborate on preliminary design concepts, evaluate completed designs with their program/functional supervisors and other technical groups, and make the necessary design modifications to achieve the best design within the program constraints. The candidate may also develop and coordinate testing required to evaluate design work.
A detailed understanding of the role of real-time embedded software applications in space systems is necessary. Actual spacecraft operations and related ground systems expertise is always a plus. Additional experience in any of the following areas is also desired: orbital mechanics, avionics or digital electronics design, telecommunications design, risk analysis, thermal design and analysis, or integration and testing (either at the spacecraft or payload level).
- Evaluate design documents and verification for compliance with customer and internally derived requirements
- Evaluate design documents to ensure feasibility and application of previous lessons learned
- Evaluate design documents to identify evidence for requirement closure
- Evaluate System Level test results and generate reports & review packages
- Evaluate secondary payload options and perform feasibility studies for system integration
- Evaluate secondary mission objectives and their impact on system design and primary objectives
- Evaluate payload integration and communications throughout the mission flow
- Provide support to selected elements of the program Systems Engineering Team
- Support and deliver SE Products and other deliverables, with a focus on mission success
- Support mission operation tasks as needed
- Troubleshoot and develop solutions to challenging Engineering problems
- Contribute to the technical management of program elements
- Provide systems engineering support for technical reviews
- Write status and technical performance reviews, analyses and reports
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience an Engineering or related field
- Seven years of related experience
- Thorough understanding of the Systems Engineering process
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Aptitude for understanding system and subsystem interactions
- Aptitude for understanding the interrelationships between hardware and software
- Strong understanding of relational database structure and utilization
- Ability to evaluate, specify, or develop software tools to enhance productivity and/or product reliability
- Experience defining requirements and interfaces
- Experience with spacecraft integration & test, launch, and mission operations
- Experience with space vehicle development including integration & test
- Experience developing verification documentation
- Experience with architecture development
- Familiarity with embedded software development methods
- Fluency in relational database application
- Understanding of software release process and mission database requirements
- Familiarity with Northrop Grumman design documentation and release process
- Familiarity with MCC-Dulles Mission Control Center operations and concepts
- Master’s degree in a technical discipline (with five years of professional experience)
- Readily assimilate system concepts and integrated subsystem contributions
- Recognize issues and rapidly conceptualize solutions to them
- Maintain a continuous improvement mentality
Skills and Experiences:
- SysML, UML, STK, SQL, C/C++, DOORS, MATLAB
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years