Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Staff Mechanical Engineer (Candidate must have Active Secret Clearance)
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Orbital ATK Flight Systems Group provides products and services that span the launch, missile systems and aerospace markets. We are a premier producer of solid rocket propulsion systems and specialty energetic products; a leading provider of small and medium class space launch vehicles for Civil, DoD and Commercial missions; a major supplier of interceptor boosters and target vehicles for missile defense; and a world class manufacturer of composite primary and secondary structures for commercial and military aircraft and launch vehicles.
ATK Orbital Aerospace Systems leads the industry in solid rocket propulsion systems, commercial and military aircraft, satellite components and subsystems, lightweight space deployables and solar arrays. We are constantly pushing the boundaries of our nation's capabilities in aerospace.
ATK is currently looking for a Staff Manufacturing Engineer to work in our Clearfield, UT location. This is a Project Hourly Role
Must have a Current and Active Secret Level Security Clearance to be considered for this role.
The Chief Manufacturing Engineer (CME) will be responsible for leading a team of manufacturing engineers in the startup and manufacturing of a new aerospace production program. The CME will be responsible to ensure that manufacturing engineering best practices and systems are defined and followed in the product and process design phase and into manufacturing start-up through rate production. The CME will work directly with the product Chief Engineer to ensure that product design meets manufacturability requirements. Additional responsibilities will include technical input to facility design and lay-out, time phasing of capital expenditures, establishment of key process parameters, application of lean manufacturing principles, and design review and approval. The CME also serves as the MRB (Material Review Board) Chairman and CCB (Change Control Board) Chairman.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of primary and secondary aircraft structures. Experience with composite manufacturing and assembly methods, systems, materials, and processes. Prefer experience with advanced composite materials and manufacturing processes.
- Demonstrated experience and expert knowledge of composite aircraft/aerospace design, production, and build processes (e.g., hand layup, automated fiber placement, secondary bonding, autoclave cure, machining, NDI, paint/coatings, hardware assembly, and dimensional GD&T) to effectively influence product design and manufacturing processes.
- Experience with military aircraft/aerospace programs and requirements
- Working knowledge of Lean Manufacturing principles and applications
- Experience leading a group of manufacturing engineers (or similar discipline) with varying experience levels.
- Experience in management of department objectives within direct and indirect department budget
- Proposal effort support experience
- Demonstrated experience in the disposition of manufacturing defects on a Material Review Board (MRB)
- Advanced knowledge of CDM (Configuration Data Management) methods
- Functional knowledge in Design and Process Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (D/PFMEA).
- Functional knowledge in root cause / corrective action processes and techniques (Fish Bone, 8D, Kepner Tregoe, etc.)
- Experience in providing technical input to proposals
- BS Degree in an applicable engineering discipline (ME, AE, Civil) (MS Degree preferred)
- 15+ years of applicable aerospace engineering experience with a minimum of 7 years of aerospace composite manufacturing experience
- 10+ years demonstrated leadership experience
- Excellent skills in interpersonal communication, writing, and presentations to Orbital ATK and customer project management
- This position may be filled at a lower level
Security Clearance Requirements:
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Security Clearance is required, which requires US Citizenship as a pre-requisite; current in-scope DoD preferred.
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products – and your ideas – into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you’ll be amazed at what you can do!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Job Type: Temporary
Desired Travel: 50-75%
Years of Experience: +10 Years