Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Mechanical Engineer – Performance Analyst
Orbital ATK is currently seeking a Mechanical Engineer – Performance Analyst for our Elkton, Maryland office.
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission - whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
The Orbital ATK Missile Defense and Controls (MD&C) facility in Elkton, Maryland began solid-propellant rocket operations in 1948. Today, the Elkton MD&C facility designs, develops, and produces solid-propellant propulsion and ordnance systems in programs professionally managed for a wide variety of Government and commercial customers. The facility also serves as the hub for offsite engineering and test facilities in Ronkonkoma, NY, Palm Beach Gardens, FL and San Jose, CA.
Perform rocket motor ballistics analysis to support design and verification activities across all Elkton Operations products lines, under the direction of manager and senior engineers. These analyses include:
- Development of mathematical models to match the physics of the system under evaluation including proper analysis methods/tools, proper boundary conditions, and appropriate material properties
- Provide performance predictions (rocket motor thrust, pressure, total impulse, etc.) for test and flight motors
- With help from senior staff, develop analytical approaches for resolution of unique rocket motor ballistic/performance issues. Assist in design of experiments testing to provide necessary data to support detailed analyses
- Perform interpretation of analytical results and make pertinent recommendations concerning design suitability/improvement
- Preparation of technical reports and presentations of work product to both internal and external customers
- Based on analytical results provide technical assessments of test hardware and test data including validation of analysis
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or Physics and 2 years of experience, or a Masters Degree in Engineering
- Knowledge of rocket motor propulsion physics and solid rocket motor ballistics analysis is highly desirable
- Willingness to learn in house ballistics codes
- Familiarity with Matlab® and or Simulink® software is desirable
- Well-honed critical thinking skills, logical approaches, and attention to detail
- Desire to learn other analysis disciplines
- Ability to obtain Secret Clearance which requires US Citizenship as a pre-requisite
- Knowledge regarding combustion stability and/or plume analysis is a plus
- Personal poise, strong communication skills, ability to give presentations
- Ability to work effectively with existing staff
Orbital ATK Defense Systems Group is an industry leader in ammunition, precision and strike weapons, missile-warning solutions, and tactical rocket motors across air, sea and land-based systems. We are the largest U.S. producer of small-caliber ammunition, as well as a leading producer of medium- and large-caliber ammunition and medium-caliber gun systems. Orbital ATK Defense Systems also develops advanced capabilities for missile-defense interceptors, fuzing and warheads, weaponized special-mission aircraft, and propulsion/controls.
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products, and your ideas, into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you’ll be amazed at what you can do! We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characterstic protected by law.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 1-3 Years
Expertise: Mechanical Engineering, Engineering