Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Staff Engineer - Guidance, Navigation and Control (GNC)
Orbital ATK is currently seeking an experienced Principal Guidance, Navigation and Control (GNC) Engineer for our Plymouth, MN office.
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Use general knowledge of vehicle dynamics, aerodynamics, propulsion, classical/modern control and estimation theory to conduct moderate difficult aerospace engineering tasks. Work under general direction from project lead and senior engineer. Apply defined engineering principle, industry standard, company process and procedure to support several program objectives and customer requirements.
- Support design and evaluation of Guidance algorithm: Guidance Law, Trajectory Optimization, Flight Vehicle Autonomy; of Navigation algorithm: Initial Alignment, Strapdown Propagation, INS filter, Multi-Sensor Data Fusion; of Flight Control algorithm: Trim Point Selection, LTI Trim and Maneuver Analysis, Non-linear Dynamic Analysis; of Tracking algorithm: Angle Only Tracking, Maneuvering Target Tracking, Multi-Target Tracking, Track File Manager.
- Support airframe design. Analyze and evaluate CFD, Wind Tunnel test results. Generate aerodynamic coefficients and predict unsteady aerodynamics.
- Design and develop high-fidelity multiple degree-of-freedom flight/orbital mechanics and vehicle dynamics simulation; modeling of navigation sensors in the simulation testbed; target dynamics, sea state, wind and terrain modeling in the simulations. Evaluate and verify simulation results. Analyze and compare simulation output to actual test data.
- Design and develop modeling of targeting sensors in the simulation. Analyze and compare the simulation output to actual targeting sensor test data.
- Develop flight vehicle system conceptual designs and modeling & simulation to support trade studies, initial requirements definition, and proposal efforts.
- Design and develop propulsion systems including electric, rocket, air-breathing, attitude control thruster. Analyze simulation output versus actual test data.
- Design and develop of actuation system models for new or highly modified existing actuation systems. Analyze simulation output versus actual test data.
Education and Experience
- Requires BS in Engineering & 15 years, or Masters in Engineering & 10 years, or PhD & 7 years or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Matlab experience required
- Simulink experience required
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products and your ideas into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you’ll be amazed at what you can do!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years