Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Sr. Principal Manufacturing Engineer
Orbital ATK is currently seeking an experienced Sr. Principal Manufacturing Engineer to provide manufacturing and process engineering technical expertise and project management for our Large Caliber Ammunition production programs in our Plymouth, MN offices. This position is focused on providing technical leadership in the manufacturing of large caliber cartridges and ammunition propulsion systems, and supports the Ammunition business segment at Armament Systems Division.
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Role description & Responsibilities:
- This position reports to the Engineering Manager, Mechanical Production Engineering and is responsible for providing technical leadership and the engineering oversight and support on large caliber ammunition programs, as well as other programs in Orbital ATK’s Ammunition program teams.
- Development and oversight of production processes for products under development and support production at Plymouth, other Orbital ATK locations and subcontractors, focusing on 120mm and 105mm cartridges and ammunition propulsion systems.
- Provide manufacturing engineering project management and leadership.
- Support and/or lead failure investigations, root cause determination, and corrective action implementation.
- Engineering oversight and interpretation of acceptance and qualification testing results of ammunition materials and components.
- Contribute to completion of specific program and project milestones.
- Represent Orbital ATK to our customers and suppliers.
- Travel (approximately 10%-25%) domestically to customers and suppliers, representing Orbital ATK’s program and business interests.
- Conceptualize and implement continuous improvement projects internally and with suppliers. Communicate project status and issues to management and customers.
- Implement and manage strong manufacturing engineering principals to ensure robust production process and high product quality. Examples are SPC, P-FMEA, Mistake Proofing, gage R&R, Production Readiness Reviews, equipment and gage qualifications, and First Article Inspections.
- B.S. in Engineering required.
- Minimum 10 years engineering experience (or 7 years with a Masters in Engineering) in both product development and production environments.
- Experience working with customer engineering, vendors and subcontractors.
- Failure Analysis and root cause determination.
- Ability to travel domestically.
- Must be U.S. Citizen.
- Experience with leading teams is highly desirable.
- Experience with energetics and ballistic testing is highly desirable.
- Experience with managing cost and schedule.
- Prior experience in project management.
- Prior experience working in the defense industry and/or with U.S. Government contracts.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Security Clearance.
Orbital ATK Defense Systems Group is an industry leader in ammunition, precision and strike weapons, missile-warning solutions, and tactical rocket motors across air, sea and land-based systems. We are the largest U.S. producer of small-caliber ammunition, as well as a leading producer of medium- and large-caliber ammunition and medium-caliber gun systems. Orbital ATK Defense Systems also develops advanced capabilities for missile-defense interceptors, fuzing and warheads, weaponized special-mission aircraft, and propulsion/controls.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years