Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Senior Princ. Systems Design - Mechanical Systems Engineering
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Role description & Responsibilities:
Senior Principle Systems Engineer and key technical contributor for systems development for tactical missile systems. Key responsibilities include:
- Vehicle Conceptual Design – Customer needs and solutions exploration for vehicle sizing and design space exploration, early vehicle shaping and sizing (OML lofting), internal vehicle configuration layouts and modelling.
- Air vehicle mechanical architecture; mechanical systems, subsystems, and mechanisms
- Vehicle Configuration Management – Maintain traceability of the mechanical airframe description and vehicle configuration description to requirements, to configuration baseline freezes, and for general vehicle configuration control, management, and tracking of physical characteristics of vehicle configurations (CAD models for OML and for packaging and internal layouts, mass properties, etc.)
- Structural analysis and Mechanical performance verification and management
- Mechanical interface definition, design and management
- Preparation and presentation of mechanical configuration information to customers via program interchange meetings, program reports, white papers, and proposals
- SME in mechanical systems design and development for air vehicles
- Well-versed, skilled and disciplined in system engineering processes
- Multi-disciplinary engineering skills beyond mechanical: aerodynamics, GNC, propulsion
- Familiar with multi-disciplinary optimization methods, analysis, and tools sets desired
- Background in aerospace systems; basic understanding of aircraft systems, missile systems, GNC, warheads, survivability, and their design drivers
- 12-18 years’ experience in systems and hi-tech product development
- Minimum B.S. engineering degree or related; M.S. preferred
- Must hold or qualify for a DoD Secret Clearance; Top Secret desired
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years