Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
RF Systems Technical Director
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking an RF Systems Technical Director to provide talent to our Defense Electronics Systems (DES) group in Northridge, CA.
This Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems - Defense Electronics Systems position is for a Technical Director for development of complex, state-of-the-art systems for airborne RF sensors for Tactical Missile systems. The position requires state-of-art expertise in RF Systems technology applied to tactical terminal sensors, direction finding and emitter geolocation. Experience with ARH systems, SIGINT sensors, RADAR systems, EW systems, and other signal processing systems and methods is essential. Develops and applies advanced technologies, principles, theories, and concepts extending existing boundaries of knowledge. Works across a broad range of disciplines to identify key technical issues and defines alternative approaches and resolutions. RF System design and development and transition-to-production experience is necessary as this position will require technical leadership and know-how in maturation of engineering development systems to full rate production. Skills and experience in multi-discipline engineering, systems engineering, systems integration and test and software engineering are essential. As the Technical Director, the successful candidate is expected to have significant experience with overall project technical direction and leadership. The successful applicant will also be expected to be the primary technical advocate and liaison with the customer community, OA Senior Leadership, and other stakeholder’s for these systems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Senior technical engineer assigned to the development of RF systems and be able to retrofit new technologies to current production program.
- Senior technical engineer responsible for the integration of the new RF systems for a primary tactical missile program.
- Serve as the company technical RF Systems authority and SME and acts as liaison with the customer, program leadership, executive leadership, and other customer stakeholders.
- Identify capital, facility, and other resource requirements to secure discretionary funding to support development and transition to production needs.
- Plan critical long range technological requirements to enhance company objectives or meet anticipated customer needs.
- Independently identify and solve significant problems associated with the success of current and critical long range objectives.
- Lead and coordinate the activities of key technical personnel and other employees as required.
- Pursue new technology concepts. Recommends, plans, leads, reviews, identifies risks and evaluates R&D and technological applications programs.
- Ensure hiring plans and staff development are aligned to overall capability and capacity strategy.
- Mentor high potential and other Engineers in area(s) of expertise. leadership, and other customer stakeholders
- Lead and conduct technical reviews and readiness reviews to assure quality of the design artifacts
- Support proposal development and substantiation of related contract activities
- Lead a diverse engineering team through the development of RF Systems.
- 15-20 years minimum experience in Missile Development, RF Systems development, radar systems analysis, modeling and simulation, design and testing. product life-cycle engineering, manufacturing; preferably in defense and aerospace systems.
- 10 years minimum experience in leadership of technical teams to include in-house development and subcontractor activities
- BS degree in Engineering or Physics or equivalent required; MS preferred
- Knowledge of radar or RF systems, RF processor board evaluation, spectrum analyzers, network analyzers, and oscilloscope.
- Strong digital signal processing knowledge
- Experience of signal processing algorithm development
- Experience with digital and RF circuit design experience with systems engineering processes (requirements definition, allocation, verification, architecture design and trade design).
- Strong problem solving skills and logical thinker
- Self-starter, team player, good communicator
- Engineering leadership experience
- Experience with Radar Theory Electronic Attack (EA) and Electronic Protection (EP) techniques.
- Skills in programming: Matlab required
- Demonstrated experience in the production of radar systems
- In-depth understanding an application of radar technical expertise
- Multi-disciplinary engineering experience desired.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to present complex topics with vision and clarity (written and verbal)
- Ability to obtain secret security clearance required. Active security clearance preferred and top secret desired
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years