Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Technical Director - AARGM-ER
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Missile Development program. The position requires state-of-art expertise in weapon system design, systems engineering, software engineering, mechanical engineering, RF Systems, Guidance, Navigation and Controls, aerodynamics, aircraft integration, solid rocket motors and warheads. Familiarity with RADAR systems, EW systems, and other signal processing systems and methods is preferred. System design and engineering development and transition-to-production experience is necessary as this position will require technical leadership and know-how in transitioning engineering development systems to full rate production. Skills and experience in multi-discipline engineering, systems integration and test are essential. As Technical Director at the Prime Contractor level, the successful candidate will be expected to be the primary technical advocate and liaison with the DoD customer community, OQ Senior Leadership, the Supply Base and other stakeholder’s for these systems.
The successful candidate is expected to have significant experience with overall project technical direction and leadership.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Senior technical engineer assigned to the development of a major new missile program technology maturation, engineering development and transition to initial/full rate production. (LRIP/FRP) and sustainment phases.
- Senior technical engineer responsible for the total integration of the airframe, subsystems and new RF systems for a primary tactical missile program.
- Identify capital, facility, and other resource requirements to secure discretionary funding to support development and transition to production needs.
- Ensure appropriate program technical staffing, hiring plans, and staff development are coordinated & aligned with Engineering and Program Management.
- Familiarity with engineering lab needs for Software and Hardware development and coordinate with Engineering/Program Management on capability needs and capacity strategy.
- Be the technical SME and liaison with the customer, program leadership, executive leadership, and other customer stakeholders
- Lead and conduct technical reviews and readiness reviews to assure quality of the design artifacts
- Support proposal development and substantiation of related contract activities
- Lead a diverse engineering team through the development of an ACAT-1 Missile Development program.
- 20+ years minimum experience in Missile Development, transition from Technology Development to EMD, EMD to Limited Rate Production and product life-cycle engineering.
- 15 years minimum experience in leadership of technical teams to include in-house development and subcontractor activities
- BS degree in Physics, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or equivalent required; MS preferred
- Multi-disciplinary engineering experience desired.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to present complex topics with vision and clarity (written and verbal)
- Demonstrated history of technical progression leading to a chief engineering leadership position.
- Active security clearance required; top secret with a current investigation preferred.
Experience in leading cross-functional project teams or engineering teams. Experience leading and developing staff, including performance and compensation management, proven mentoring and coaching skills, managing conflict and administering performance improvement plans as needed.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years