Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Senior Program Manager - Advanced Programs
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking a Senior Program Manager to provide talent to our Defense Electronics Systems (DES) group in Northridge, CA.
Key Skill Set Requirements:
- PMP Certified Preferred
- Expert in MS Office including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and MS Project
- Experience with EVMS performance cost and schedule controls
- Extensive experience as a Program Manager or Deputy Program Manager on large cross-functional Aerospace/Defense industry program teams - from contract proposal through product delivery.
- Demonstrated knowledge of electrical components, systems and subsystems functions is preferred.
- Experience resolving technical, schedule, and cost problems related to the assigned program/product responsibility is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly on the job
- Preference is for current experience as an air vehicle program integrator.
Experience and Education Requirements:
Education: Bachelor’s Degree.
Clearance: SECRET Required, TS/SCI Preferred.
Experience: 5 - 9 years of relevant program management experience as an individual contributor, 2 - 5 years of relevant leadership experience.
Job Description – Roles and Responsibilities:
The Senior Program Manager position is generally responsible for developed or mature programs, supporting a single customer, with well-defined plans and methodologies. The Program is usually of low to moderate financial and strategic consequence to the business. The position usually has indirect leadership of matrixes support or leadership of a small team.
Orbital ATK Senior Program Managers have nine key roles in the position, each with general responsibilities, that when fulfilled comprise strategic program management. These roles and responsibilities apply to all program managers, although the degree of emphasis may change with the PM’s level or the nature of the program.
- Leverage the existing program to win new, expanded business (actively soliciting follow-on business by making timely presentations, maintaining close customer relations, and tracking customer requirements; and transitioning business opportunities to program management)
- Strategically plan (directing program strategy development that integrates with Orbital ATK’s overall business and strategy; and participating in the business strategic planning process)
- Deliver profit
- Deliver return on investment
- Deliver return on assets
- Manage cash
- Control costs
- Manage risk
- Generate sales
- Integrate program financials with business objectives
Contract Structure and Pricing
- Recommend price (based on market, business strategy, program objectives, and cost)
- Manage contract negotiations
- Endorse final price and contract terms
- Resolve contract issues (including CCN’s and legal issues)
- Direct proposal preparation (to ensure it meets Orbital ATK's business strategy, is compliant, responds to customer needs, and provides a proper base for successful negotiations and program performance)
- Accountable for application of ITAR export/import controls
- Drive technical excellence (by setting program standards, challenging threats, balancing risk, and delivering performance)
- Provide quality assurance
- Oversee the development of a program plan and critical milestones
- Meet master program plans and schedules (identifying and assessing risks, and initiating necessary corrective action)
- Represent Orbital ATK as a company (bringing the ATK message to the customer; and integrating knowledge of the spectrum of ATK capabilities with understanding of customer needs to promote Orbital ATK)
- Represent the customer to Orbital ATK (understanding the needs and requirements of the customer, and integrating this understanding into proposal development, program execution, and business strategy)
- Service the customer (executing the program and resolving issues in accordance with business objectives, strategy, legal requirements, regulations, contract terms, and company policies)
- Balance the interests of the customer, Orbital ATK, and employees (ensuring stakeholder objectives are aligned)
Program Team Management
- Structure a program team (to ensure maximum performance)
- Identify supporting functional staff
- Develop subordinates, manage team personnel
- Set role and performance expectations, and provide ongoing feedback and performance appraisals
- Provide overall leadership and direction to the program team (to include coaching team members, resolving conflict, reviewing performance, and initiating corrective actions, if necessary)
- Direct the performance of program functions (such as procurement, manufacturing, quality control, and logistics)
- Manage personnel
Supplier and Subcontractor Management
- Oversight for internal subcontract managers
- Review / approve all subcontract Statements of Work
- Assist in identification / set-up of teaming arrangements
- Establish and clearly communicate overall program objectives, mission, vision and strategy
- Establish program priorities
- Champion company values, especially safety
- Ensure program-wide focus on safety, reliability, cost, and schedule, and adequacy of systems, procedures, and people for long-term success
- Oversee program planning and execution through applicable phases: Concept, exploration, engineering development, advanced development, production, sustainment, retirement, etc.
- Meet company and customer requirements (balancing the multiple roles and differing requirements)
- Drive timely and clearly communicated decisions and recommendations
- Generate application of six sigma and “lean” principles and tools (throughout program planning and execution)
- Challenge business impediments to excellence and continuous improvement
- Drive data-based decision making through the program
- Perform execution excellence with performance, cost and schedule control
- Perform risk mitigation, risk cost and controls
- Accountable for financial reporting including profit and loss of each program
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: 25-50%
Years of Experience: +10 Years