Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Tool Design Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking an experienced Tool Design Engineer at the Magna, Utah location:
Candidate will be responsible for the concept, design, fabrication drawings, inspection requirements, procurement requirements, verification requirements, and fabrication support for tooling and equipment for Aerospace applications.
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Interface with review team to assure customer satisfaction with design
- Lead other tooling engineers in all aspects of design (Concept, analysis review, procurement and first use)
- Managing projects and coordinate all procurements and fabrication to meet the program cost and schedule requirements
- Inspect fabricated support hardware to assure compliance to design
- Work alongside the manufacturing team to ensure overall program quality, delivery, and cost objectives are achieved
- Work with internal Customers to concept needed support equipment for new and existing programs
- Developing tooling concepts, creating/reviewing and improving manufacturing processes to meet Customer requirements
- Work closely with Tool Designers to create final drawings
- Perform stress analysis to assure mechanically sound per Orbital ATK requirements
- Understand/monitor cost and schedule
- Review engineering drawings and designs for weldability and manufacturability
- Support vendors as needed during fabrication
- Support all fabrication and design
- Support all Suppliers and Engineers with accurate and timely welding knowledge
- Inspect tool configuration for drawing compliance, including fit, form and function
- Support continuous improvement
- Support Operations and Process Engineering in the use of all tooling
- BS Mechanical Engineering, plus 15 years of experience in Tooling/Mechanical design or MS Mechanical Engineering, plus 10 years of experience in Tooling/Mechanical design.
- Welding, machining, and/or fabrication experience
- Experience with closed form and FE analysis practices; Prefer NX and ANSYS systems
- IDEAS and NX modeling experience
Technical Skills: Strong candidates for this position will possess:
- Desire, i.e. passion, to build and manufacture support hardware
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills in managing time, projects and resources
- Demonstrated Leadership ability
- Technical attention to detail
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years