Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Sr. Principal Engineer
Orbital ATK is currently seeking an experienced Sr. Principal Engineer within our Armament Systems Division located in Plymouth, MN.
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
The development of innovative and intelligent armament systems, designed to protect and enable our armed forces, is accelerating. This has increased the need for leaders who have a passion for technology development, paired with demonstrated expertise in process excellence. These leaders will drive to continually outperform the competition and exceed customer expectations while acting with integrity, loyalty, and respect.
As a Senior Principal Engineer specializing in structural and thermal analysis you will perform analysis and design of complex materials, structural components, and functional systems of company products. You will evaluate completed analyses with other technical groups and make recommendations on modifications necessary to achieve the most ideal design.
- Demonstrate and apply advanced knowledge of technical principles, theories, and concepts such as those in fluid-thermal-structure interactions, and develop the methodology to define the problem in FEA software.
- Perform highly complex thermal and structural analysis simulation and modeling efforts using FEA software ABAQUS, ANSYS) to support design activities across all Armament System Division (projectiles) and Missile Products Division (warheads, fuzes) product lines at the Plymouth location. These simulations include development of structural model, meshing, selection of boundary conditions and constraints, selection of applicable material properties, selection of proper simulation code and methodology, interpretation of analytical results, and recommendation for design improvement.
- Develop analytical approaches to assist in the resolution of unique thermal and structural mechanics issues.
- Develop material models, including composite modeling, for structural analyses efforts.
- Prepare and present analytical results in both oral and written formats to both internal and external customers.
- Mentor junior engineers in analysis work and review and approve their analysis results.
- Form close working relationships with the customer technical community and specific customer technical points of contact.
- Support innovation through application of technology to new product architecture development.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, Civil Engineering or Physics
- Minimum of 10 years of experience with B.S. or 7 years with M.S. or 5 years with Ph.D.
- U.S. citizen and qualify for a U.S. Government security clearance. Existing clearance preferred.
- Prior experience in comparable position in precision weapons; ammunition and gun systems; and fusing and warhead projects.
- Advanced experience in analyzing complex structural or thermal problems utilizing FEA software (ABAQUS, ANSYS)
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced, rapidly changing, short turn-around environment.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to organize/prioritize job assignments and tasks.
- Strong communications skills, oral and written.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Project).
- Ability to travel occasionally to interface with suppliers and meet with various customers
Position may be filled at a different level commensurate with the degree of qualifications, directly relevant experience and objective evidence of performance.
Orbital ATK Defense Systems Group is an industry leader in ammunition, precision and strike weapons, missile-warning solutions, and tactical rocket motors across air, sea and land-based systems. We are the largest U.S. producer of small-caliber ammunition, as well as a leading producer of medium- and large-caliber ammunition and medium-caliber gun systems. Orbital ATK Defense Systems also develops advanced capabilities for missile-defense interceptors, fuzing and warheads, weaponized special-mission aircraft, and propulsion/controls.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years