Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Sr. Principal Material Sciences Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Researches, analyzes, designs and tests materials and their related fabrication and application processes to develop and optimize materials for use in engineered applications and to support failure mode analysis. Develops original complex technical applications and writes major portions of complex specifications and engineering reports as a result of advance studies and special engineering investigations.
- Provides data to and supports risk management in the identification of potential risks, development of mitigation strategies, and failure mode analysis.
- Creates process and manufacturing method requirements. Manages requirement changes, using established guidelines for a large project. Creates and modifies project level management tracking reports.
- Creates material science and material lab/production control methods requirements. Manages requirement changes using established guidelines.
- Creates product requirements and manages requirement changes, using established guidelines for a large project. Provides data for trade study of processes.
- Directs and supports proposal-writing efforts or authors sections/volumes for process, product and/or material science engineering for a project.
- Specific training and/or experience in the principles of chemistry, physics, or any of the specific domains of material science or materials engineering. Preferred degrees are in the fields of chemistry, chemical engineering, material science and material science engineering.
- Requires BS & 10 years or Masters & 7 years or PhD & 5 years.
- U.S. citizen and qualify for a U.S. Government security clearance
- In depth knowledge and experience in manufacturing chemical processes, particularly metal finishing (plating, coating, anodizing, phosphating, etc)
- Experience setting up a metal finishing production line
- Working knowledge of other manufacturing processes (electronic assembly, potting, machining, welding)
- Working knowledge of gas chromatography, infrared spectroscopy, scanning electron microscopy, energy dispersive spectroscopy, and differential scanning calorimetry
- Working knowledge of common mechanical property testing including MTS Universal test machine, Rockwell, superficial and micro hardness testing, and other equipment and techniques required to produce or analyze metallographic samples.
- Working knowledge of analytical chemistry
- Working knowledge of materials science or metallurgy
- Electromechanical mechanism device design experience.
- Material selection experience for both metals and plastics.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of time to interface with suppliers, meet with various customers, support projects
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to organize/prioritize job assignments and tasks.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced, rapidly changing, short turn-around environment.
- Strong communications skills, oral and written.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Project)
- Experience in the defense industry
- Experience with AS9100/ISO 9001, CMMI, and Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP)
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years