Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Sr. Principal Material Sciences Engineer
Orbital ATK is currently seeking an experienced Sr. Principal Material Sciences Engineer to provide leadership to our Armament Systems team in our Plymouth, MN offices.
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Researches, analyzes, designs and tests materials and their related fabrication and application processes to develop and optimize materials for use in engineered applications and to support failure mode analysis. Develops original complex technical applications and writes major portions of complex specifications and engineering reports as a result of advance studies and special engineering investigations.
- Provides data to and supports risk management in the identification of potential risks, development of mitigation strategies, and failure mode analysis.
- Creates process and manufacturing method requirements. Manages requirement changes, using established guidelines for a large project. Creates and modifies project level management tracking reports.
- Creates material science and material lab/production control methods requirements. Manages requirement changes using established guidelines.
- Creates product requirements and manages requirement changes, using established guidelines for a large project. Provides data for trade study of processes.
- Directs and supports proposal-writing efforts or authors sections/volumes for process, product and/or material science engineering for a project.
- Specific training and/or experience in the principles of chemistry, physics, or any of the specific domains of material science or materials engineering. Preferred degrees are in the fields of chemistry, chemical engineering, material science and material science engineering.
- Requires BS in Engineering & 10 years or Masters in Engineering & 7 years or PhD in Engineering & 5 years.
- U.S. citizen and qualify for a U.S. Government security clearance
- In depth knowledge and experience in manufacturing chemical processes, particularly metal finishing (plating and coating)
- Experience setting up a metal finishing production line
- Working knowledge of other manufacturing processes (electronic assembly, potting, machining, welding)
- Working knowledge of gas chromatography, infrared spectroscopy, scanning electron microscopy, energy dispersive spectroscopy, and differential scanning calorimetry
- Working knowledge of common mechanical property testing including MTS Universal test machine, Rockwell, superficial and micro hardness testing, and other equipment and techniques required to produce or analyze metallographic samples.
- Working knowledge of analytical chemistry
- Working knowledge of materials science or metallurgy
- Electromechanical mechanism device design experience.
- Material selection experience for both metals and plastics.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of time to interface with suppliers, meet with various customers, support projects
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to organize/prioritize job assignments and tasks.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced, rapidly changing, short turn-around environment.
- Strong communications skills, oral and written.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Project)
- Experience in the defense industry
- Experience with AS9100/ISO 9001, CMMI, and Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP)
Orbital ATK Defense Systems Group is an industry leader in ammunition, precision and strike weapons, missile-warning solutions, and tactical rocket motors across air, sea and land-based systems. We are the largest U.S. producer of small-caliber ammunition, as well as a leading producer of medium- and large-caliber ammunition and medium-caliber gun systems. Orbital ATK Defense Systems also develops advanced capabilities for missile-defense interceptors, fuzing and warheads, weaponized special-mission aircraft, and propulsion/controls.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years