Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Sr. Manufacturing Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Develops manufacturing processes by studying product requirements; researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment; conferring with equipment vendors. Develops and maintains detailed work instructions for assigned products/processes. Investigates root cause of discrepancies and implements corrective actions. Performs material flow analysis, cycle time analysis, and value stream mapping. Supports program reviews. Performs DFMX initiatives.
- Collaborates with Design Engineering on design and manufacturability issues
- Manufacturing capacity analysis
- Experience in Statistical Process Control (SPC), Lean and Six Sigma techniques.
- Coordinates with production on day-to-day activities. Resolves complex manufacturing process issues.
- Conducts root cause/corrective action investigations using multiple tools; 5 Whys, Fishbone Diagram, 8D, etc.
- Communicates manufacturing plans and processes to internal and external customers through Manufacturing Readiness reviews
- Research and evaluate commercially available tools and equipment to support manufacturing activities. Design and procure specialized tooling and fixtures.
- Troubleshoots existing processes to improve safety, quality, cost and efficiency.
- Educates/trains operators on new and existing processes.
- Represent manufacturing at change control board to determine impact of proposed changes. Incorporate engineering changes on work in process.
Education and Experience:
- Requires BS in Engineering & 4 years’ experience or Masters in Engineering & 2 years.
- In depth understanding and application of Industrial Engineering technical expertise along with a knowledge of other related disciplines
- Ability to provide and implement technical solutions to advanced problems which require ingenuity and innovation
- Capable of working with minimal direction, independently determines and develops technical objectives of assignments, and presents work upon completion for high level review
- Occasionally acts as a leader and understands that erroneous decisions on their part will result in probable delay and failure of organizational objectives
- Represents the organization as a technical contact, interacts with senior personnel on important technical matters, and helps with coordination between organization
- Experience implementing Lean practices in a production and/or business environment
- Ability to obtain a security clearance if needed
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 3-5 Years