Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Associate Mechanical Engineer
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Perform analysis, design, or test of one or more moderately complex or portions of complex materials, structural components, and functional systems of company products. Generally work from preliminary studies developed by higher graded engineers. Analyze requirements for materials, structural component, or functional systems. Select applicable analytical data from previous products, determine the technical principles involved, mathematically define the problem and compute the engineering characteristics consistent with the specifications, design needs and requirements of other portions of the product. Release results as design data after review by higher graded engineer. Develop original ideas and elaborate on preliminary design concepts. Evaluate completed design with supervisor and other technical groups and make modification necessary to achieve the most ideal design. Develop and coordinate the conduct of test programs requires to evaluate design work.
- Perform preliminary and detailed design of propulsion systems, subsystems, and components, including propellant grain sizing, pressure vessel mechanical design, insulator sizing using thermal analysis, as well as nozzle and igniter design.
- Participate in selection of materials and processes for fabrication of product
- Prepare procedures and work instructions for product fabrication
- Oversee all aspects of testing efforts on assigned project, including planning, component fabrication, test execution, data reduction, and final reporting
- Troubleshoot technical and production issues while meeting cost & schedule goals
- Interface with customer regarding product technical status and potential product improvements
Education and Experience
- BS or MS in Aerospace, Mechanical, Chemical, Engineering Mechanics or equivalent
- Working knowledge of solid and fluid mechanics, aerodynamics, thermodynamics and mechanical design
- Ability to function as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Must possess design skills and logical problem solving ability
- Hands-on experience in an industrial setting desired
- Ability to obtain a Secret Security Clearance which requires US Citizenship as a pre-requisite
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Knowledge of rocket propulsion systems desired
- Demonstrated CAD skills
- Knowledge of Six Sigma, Lean Manufacturing, SPC
- Experience with 3-D modeling and computational fluid dynamics tools
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products and your ideas into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you’ll be amazed at what you can do!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: None
Years of Experience: 0-1 Year