Orbital ATK Careers
Principal Electrical Engineer
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission ? whether it?s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world?s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation?s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Perform analysis, design, or test of one or more complex designs, which require use of ingenuity and creativity and without detailed direction from more senior engineers. Based on generally defined problems, study design concepts and criteria to ascertain the engineering principles involved. Without detailed direction, plan, prepare, and complete the design. Evaluate completed design with more senior engineers and other technical groups and make modifications necessary to achieve a design that satisfies requirements. Develop, coordinate, and conduct the test programs required to evaluate the design.
May also oversee component supplier design, analysis, manufacture, and test. May also oversee, with senior engineer support, subsystem supplier design, analysis, manufacture, and test.
- Job Knowledge/Technical Skills - Expert understanding and application of and coaches other engineers on company electrical engineering technical standards.
Extensive technical expertise and full knowledge of other related disciplines.
Leads, prepares, and presents electrical materials during Requirements and Design Reviews and other formal program reviews.
- Problem Solving/Innovation - Based on broadly defined problems, studies basic design concepts and criteria for complex components for electrical systems and subassemblies and applies more advanced engineering principles to develop new designs for small projects.
Applies more advanced engineering principles to develop new designs for small projects.
- Liaison - Leads work groups to complete tasks.
Facilitates harmonious working relationships.
Anticipates internal and external customer needs and finds innovative ways to provide for those needs.
Disciplined with escalation when required.
Ability to effectively delineate appropriate technical position and willingness to stand alone in defending it while at same time evaluating opposing views for applicability.
- Requirements Derivation/ Test Development - With supervision, determine engineering tasks required for project planning and execution
With supervision, analyze project requirements and develop detailed planning, conceptual designs.
Supports and leads the testing and/or evaluation/validation of one or more electrical components of a system or subsystem analytical model or actual system implementation.
- Risk and Uncertainty Quantification - Perform, with supervision, risk analysis on design, analyses, and planned activities.
With supervision apply principles of uncertainty quantification to owned program, product, and planned activity.
- Analysis and Design - With no guidance, performs analysis, design, or test of one or more complex designs, components, or functional systems.
Leads and prepares trade studies for component or system level designs.
Creates and manages changes to electrical component or system or analytical models under self direction using established guidelines. Can identify uncertainty and risk associated with model.
- Peer Review/Oversight - Provides formal peer review of more detailed engineering designs or analyses.
- Business Development - Supports preparation of subsystem technical proposal.
- Involvement in national or international engineering association.
Education and Experience
Requires BS in Engineering & 7 years or Masters in Engineering & 5 years or PhD & 2 years.
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products ? and your ideas ? into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you?ll be amazed at what you can do!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years