Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Senior Principal Systems Engineer -Propulsion
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission - whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Job Description for Senior Principal Systems Engineer
Orbital ATK Defense Electronics Systems is a division of the Orbital ATK Defense Group. Our facility in Northridge, CA is seeking candidates for a Propulsion Systems Engineer in support of rocket motor development for high-speed tactical missile systems.
The Propulsion Systems Engineer Architect will support rocket motor design, development and acquisition for a tactical missile development program. The position requires strong systems engineering and systems design for solid rocket, ramjet/scramjet, and turbojet motors for tactical missile systems. Excellent communications and technical management skills required, as it will involve direct interface with customers and suppliers. The Propulsion Systems Engineer provides technical expertise and oversight of subcontractors. The Propulsion Systems Engineer provides technical expertise for requirements, product development, integration, performance assessment and verification of propulsion needs for tactical missile systems. The Propulsion Systems Engineer provides trade studies and analysis to recommend proper courses of action taking into account identified risks, requirements, budgetary constraints, and program schedules.
- BS, Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or equivalent required
- MS, Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering desired
- 8-10 years minimum in aerospace/defense industry
- 5-6 years of relevant experience in propulsion engineering for air vehicles; with particular background in solid rocket motor technology
- Experience in requirements generation, design and analysis, development, integration, and testing of propulsion systems for military applications
- Experience with weapon systems or other air vehicles
- Experience leading and advising DoD customers on propulsion systems
- Experience with modeling and simulation of propulsion systems
- Familiarity with propulsion system development and testing
- Active DoD Secret Security clearance
- Project management experience
Desired Experience and Skills:
- Missile system design and product development
- System performance and design analysis
- Aerodynamics and thermal analysis, CFD, inlet and nozzle design
- Propellant design and chemistry
Orbital ATK has the people, strategy, agility, and products to thrive in a highly dynamic national security and space environment. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years