Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Sr. Principal Aerodynamics Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking a Senior Principal Aerodynamics Engineer to provide talent to our Defense Electronics Systems (DES) group in Northridge, CA.
Use broad knowledge of vehicle dynamics, aerodynamics, propulsion, classical/modern control and estimation theory to solve difficult aerospace engineering issues. Work under broad objective-related direction from program manager. Lead others in determining best means to achieve several objectives. Make independent decisions on aerospace engineering problems and methods. Represent the organization to resolve important questions. Supervise, coordinate and review the work of a small staff of engineers. Estimate personnel needs, schedules and assign work.
Specific assignments may include several of the duties below:
- Development of aerodynamic configurations for high speed missiles and weapon systems
- Provide leadership and guidance to a staff of engineers on aerodynamics related tasking
- Support system engineering of missile design for a tactical missile development program
- Provides technical expertise for requirements development, model development and integration, technical risk management, performance assessment and verification of system level aerodynamic performance needs for tactical missile systems.
- Involve direct interface with internal and external customers and suppliers.
Education and Experience
- BS degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering required; MS degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering desired.
- 10 years minimum in development of high speed air vehicles
- Active DoD Secret Security clearance
- Experience in wind tunnel testing
- Subject matter expertise in configuration synthesis, aero surface sizing and design, stability and control analysis, drag prediction, aerodynamic loads predictions, and aerodynamics modelling.
- Experience with state of the art computational fluid dynamics tools and techniques for prediction of aerodynamic characteristics of tactical missiles as well as experience in empirical methodologies to include transonic, supersonic, and/or hypersonic wind tunnel testing.
- Experience with weapon systems or other air vehicles
- Experience with design, analysis, modeling and simulation of arbitrary aerodynamic configurations
- Experience in requirements generation, design and analysis, development, and testing of aerodynamic designs for military applications
- Capable of preparing and delivering logical presentations
- Able to represent parent organization at working-level meetings, internal and external
- Shares appropriate information with peers and provides concise status to leadership
- Experience leading and advising DoD customers on propulsion systems
- Technical management and project management experience
- Excellent communications skills
- Demonstrate innovation and problem solving.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years