Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Senior Test (Material Test Lab) Technician
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission ? whether it?s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world?s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation?s largest manufacturer of ammunition. United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Our Commerce, CA location is seeking a Senior Test (Material Test Lab) Technician.
The successful candidate will work in the Material Test Lab performing tensile tests using an Instron Universal Tensile Test Frame, material chemistry using a Hydrogen Analyzer, and verifying microstructure using a microscope. In addition, this position will support other technician tasks such as composite bonding, and part identification using epoxy inks.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Support the execution Material Test Lab schedule by prioritizing daily work based on Process Center Leader’s direction and lab backlog.
- Coordinate all testing and bonding operations from internal customer handoff through verification of test data and acceptance of applicable test reports.
- Prepare titanium tensile test specimens per ASTM E8, and perform testing on Instron type test machine using extensometer and/or bonded strain gage instrumentation.
- Prepare hydrogen samples and perform testing per ASTM E1447.
- Prepare Microstructure test coupons, and perform analysis of microstructure for acceptance in accordance with ASTM E3, ASTM E112, ASTM E407, and ASTM E340.
- Perform electrical wiring/hookup and installation of instrumentation used for testing including strain gages, LVDT, and load cell transducers.
- Work with chemicals in a lab environment using prescribed methods and personal protection equipment.
- Run computer controlled test equipment.
- Perform structural composite bonding of titanium using two part epoxy adhesive systems and/or silicone bonding adhesives.
- Perform identification operations using stencils and two part epoxy ink materials
- Support performance of dynamic tests of components using Acceptance Test Procedures.
Additional Responsibilities include:
- Responsible for meeting or exceeding the safety, quality, delivery and cost objectives provided by the Process Center Leader within all aspects of the Materials Test Lab.
- Collaborate and coordinate with Technicians, Manufacturing Engineering, Quality Engineering and Inspection, Engineering, and Process Center Leaders to achieve project or process area SQDEC goals.
- Assist Process Center Lead to keep procedures current, and recommend revisions as needed.
- Ensures all paperwork is complete, accurate, and legible.
- Write Purchase Requisitions to support lab needs.
- Familiarity with use of and interpreting ASTM standard test methods.
- High mechanical and electrical aptitude to learn / build test setups with instrumentation.
- Strong math and science aptitude to learn fundamentals of static load engineering - including force, stress, strain, modulus.
- Proficient in Microsoft office applications (Word and Excel) to document results
- High School diploma or equivalent; additional formal training and or college education, applicable course work is a plus.
- 3-5 years of previous lab or technician experience in a manufacturing industry (aerospace and/or defense industries preferred).
- Knowledge in test instrumentation will be given strong preference.
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products – and your ideas – into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you’ll be amazed at what you can do!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 3-5 Years
Education: High School/GED