Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Sr. Mechanical Technician
Orbital ATK Space Systems Group leads the industry in solid rocket propulsion systems, satellite components and subsystems, lightweight space deployables and solar arrays. We are constantly pushing the boundaries of our nation's capabilities in space.
Orbital ATK is seeking candidates to fill a Mechanical Technician position for the Beltsville, MD facility. Candidates will provide support for production in a team-based manufacturing environment. The Mechanical Technician will perform activities in the Advanced Thermal Heat Pipe department and will support the flattening and bending of various metal tubing/extrusions to meet engineering specifications.
Job Summary – Senior Mechanical Technician:
The successful candidate will be working in the Loop Heat Pipe product line performing heat treat, bake out, and charging operations of thermal control systems. They will understand and work from engineering controlled documents, shop aids, and procedures while utilizing standard processes and controlled tooling to perform assigned tasks, working to help meet budgets and scheduled completion dates.
- Operate equipment such as hand tools, tubing benders, and calibrated gauges
- Demonstrated ability to read, interpret and follow written manufacturing instructions and technical procedures as well as interpret blueprints/engineering drawings & sketches
- Experience in safely handling hazardous materials in accordance with OSHA and industry standards, utilizing required personal protective equipment (PPE) when needed
- Demonstrates high level of concern for safety of self and others
- Proven experience in identifying and applying continuous improvement
- Detail oriented
- Self-starter with organizational and prioritizing skills
- Experience in fast-paced work environment
- Ability to work and communicate in a team environment
- Must be team oriented and focused on meeting customer needs
- Ability to work under limited supervision
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
- Ability to climb and work around/on step ladders
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Willing to work flexible schedules, including overtime, as needed to meet delivery dates
- Computer skills; MS Word, MS Excel, and Outlook
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent is required
- 3-5 years of related experience in an aerospace, defense or automotive or similarly precision-skilled industry
- U.S. citizenship required for consideration
Competencies for Success:
- Ability to develop solutions to a variety of complex problems utilizing Lean Manufacturing concepts
- Ability to plan, coordinate, and delegate tasks for product flow
- Ability to utilize visual management to communicate task assignments, product status, and team performance
- Ability to speak and present data in front of small to medium sized group a plus
Orbital ATK has the people, strategy, agility, and products to thrive in a highly dynamic national security and space environment. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 3-5 Years
Education: High School/GED