Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission ? whether it?s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world?s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation?s largest manufacturer of ammunition. United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Our Beltsville, MD location is seeking a Machinist to join our Machine Shop team.
This position will primarily be responsible for supporting the machining operations of our heatpipe manufacturing line specifically focused on the end prep/groove machining operation for the heatpipe manufacturing flow.
Sets up and operates machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, shapers, planers, and precision grinders to make metal / composite parts, mechanisms, tools, or machines to exacting tolerances and dimensions.
Interprets blueprints, sketches/shop drawings, and engineering specifications; determines sequence of operations, number of cuts required, and method of setup.
Uses a variety of machinist’s hand tools and precision measuring instruments; makes standard shop computations relating to dimensions of work, tooling, feeds, and speeds; measures, marks, and scribes dimensions and reference points to lay our stock for machining. Some machines may be numerically controlled (CNC).
- Set up, program and operate small and large Bridgeport, mills and a variety of conventional machines. Knowledge and/or experience in the operation of CNC mills and lathes a plus.
- Knowledge of Fanuc, Haas, Fagor & Fadel CNC controls a plus
- Demonstrated ability to learn new skills and follow written procedures
- Demonstrated high degree of self-discipline to follow policies and procedures
- Ability to read, write and interpret written instructions, blueprints, shop drawings and engineering specifications in English
- Proficient use of basic shop arithmetic
- Ability to use machinist handbook to solve machining problems involving trigonometry and machine feeds and speeds depending on the material and tolerance specified
- Ability to multitask, and prioritize work
- Demonstrates strong attention to detail and is focused on accuracy
- Demonstrates initiative, self-starter, adaptable, and highly motivated for excellence
- Identifies opportunities for continuous improvement with a focus on customer service excellence.
- Excels in a team environment; applies teamwork attitude and work ethics
- Ability to work with minimal supervision including setting up and operating all conventional machines commonly found in a machine shop, operation of CNC machines a plus
- Responsible for demonstrating a high degree of concern for safety of self and others
- Good documentation and organization skills
- Standard computer skills including MS Office
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to lift a minimum of 25 lbs
- Ability to work flexible hours, overtime, and weekends as needed based on demanding manufacturing schedules
- Ability to stand as needed to operate tools/equipment for up to 9 hours each day (9/80 work schedule)
- High school diploma or equivalent. AA degree in related field preferred.
- Minimum 2-3 years diversified machining experience with large & small equipment/tools in an aerospace manufacturing environment or related industry.
- Experience in composite machining a plus
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products ? and your ideas ? into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you?ll be amazed at what you can do!We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 3-5 Years
Education: High School/GED