Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Sr Princ Mechanical Engineer (pressure vessel design and analysis)
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people?s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation?s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work ? and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they?re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Our Commerce, CA location is currently seeking a Senior Principal Mechanical Engineer to join our engineering team. We are the leading supplier of pressure vessels and tank hardware to the aerospace industry.
Highly motivated engineer for pressure vessel design and analysis with the following responsibilities:
- Directly support chief engineer and engineering manager in achieving Design, Quality, and Cost objectives
- Interact with design and development teams (teams include specialists in Design, Quality, Materials, Manufacturing) to create and verify creative design solutions that meet all requirements (technical, cost, schedule)
- Lead and manage failure review board (FRB) activities to ensure component discrepancies and anomalies are thoroughly documented, reviewed, analyzed and dispositioned
- Support development of analytical tool kits using Microsoft Excel, MATLAB, or other
- Support development of fight hardware from preliminary through detailed design, drawing release, manufacturing, integration, verification testing, and transportation
- Plan and oversee material characterization tests of various materials used in the design of pressure vessels
- Prepare and make presentations summarizing technical content for internal review boards and external customer design reviews
- Prepare and release test procedures for material development, component hardware testing, and ground support equipment
- Support structural and dynamic testing of pressure vessel hardware
- Proficiency in analysis of aerospace hardware containing metals, composite materials, and bonded joints
- Knowledge of Titanium Alloy 6Al-4V and CP Titanium material performance and applications
- Oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced dynamic environment as part of a multi-discipline team
- Must be a US citizen and have the ability to work on ITAR controlled products
- MS in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering
- Knowledge of finite element analysis, composite laminate theory, and dynamics
- Knowledge of composite materials manufacturing processes
- Proficiency in LABVIEW a plus
- Knowledge of titanium alloys and composite materials application for extreme environments
- Previous experience in aerospace manufacturing facility
Skills & Qualifications:
- Must be a self-starter and possess strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work independently as part of a team
- Excellent communication, computer, documentation, and presentation are required
- Ability to make sound decisions
- Detail Oriented
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively
- Demonstrates and applies technical expertise in several engineering disciplines. Serves as a subject matter expert in one engineering discipline or specialty area, or acts as a program team lead.
- Uses independent advanced knowledge and ideas to guide the development and implementation of technical solutions to highly complex problems. Participate in and/or lead FMEA activities.
- Anticipates customer needs and finds innovative ways to provide for those needs.
- Provides viable, well-thought out suggestions that carry significant benefit to the department or the organization. Continuously finds new and better ways of performing job.
- Perform anomaly resolution and conduct special studies.
- Determine engineering tasks required for project planning and execution; Analyze project requirements and develop detailed planning, conceptual designs, and risk analysis.
- May assume leadership role as task manager, CAM, and/or systems lead.
- Review and approve analysis performed by team members.
- Interact with internal and external customers.
- Provide technical guidance and direction to engineering team in the design, test, production and maintenance phases of a project.
- Develop and present materials for project related briefings including design reviews to be given to internal and external customers.
- Support new business and prepare proposal material.
- Generate engineering schedules and cost estimates for proposals/projects.
Education and Experience
Requires BS in Engineering & 10 years or Masters in Engineering & 7 years or PhD in Engineering & 5 years; mechanical or aerospace discipline.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 8-10 Years