Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Staff Mechanical Engineer
Orbital ATK Defense Systems Group has an exciting opening for a talented Staff Mechanical Engineer within the Armament Systems Division based in Plymouth, MN.
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
The development of innovative and intelligent armament systems, designed to protect and enable our armed forces, is accelerating. This has increased the need for a leader who has a passion for technology development, paired with demonstrated expertise in design excellence. This leader will drive to continually outperform the competition and exceed customer expectations while acting with integrity, loyalty, and respect.
The Staff Engineer will ensure that all development activities utilize the best approaches from advanced product quality planning (APQP), system engineering (SE), program management (PMBOK), and lean design (DFSS) to ensure an efficient, high performance, rigorous development culture while considering the input of all internal and external customers. They will utilize their emotional intelligence to lead, coach, and direct other engineers to accomplish project deliverables and strategic objectives, drive timely decision making, and develop a highly talented team.
- Work closely with business segments to develop products required to support segment growth strategies.
- Mentor junior engineers to develop leadership skills and broaden technical understanding.
- Form close working relationships with government technical leaders on segment programs and pursuits.
- Provide technical insights and risk assessments for the business segments.
- Support innovation through application of technology to new product architecture development.
- Support development of annual plans to satisfy the needs identified in the technical roadmaps.
- Maintain knowledge of engineering best practices and technology innovations impacting our products.
- Represent and communicate Orbital ATK technical capabilities and technologies to external customers.
- Oversee daily engineering activity in coordination with program and function managers.
- Create and implement technical solutions with significant positive impacts on technology and profitability.
- Support performance management activities by offering input on program team members.
- Manage cost/schedule for assigned independent research, process improvement, or development projects.
- Participates as a subject matter expert or technical advisor for failure investigations and trade studies.
- Present deliverables at program technical reviews, proposal reviews, or other technical meetings.
- Prepare, review, and approve cost estimates and written technical proposals.
- Major contributor to proposal activities as an author, volume manager, reviewer.
- Submit and peer review invention disclosures for business critical intellectual property.
- Set and promote high standards for quality and safety.
- Serve as a role model supporting the division’s mission and values.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or Chemical Engineering
- Minimum of 15 years of experience with BS, or 10 years of experience with MS, or 5 years with PhD
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in leading cross-functional project teams or engineering teams
- U.S. citizen and possess or qualify for a U.S. Government security clearance
- 5 years of experience in leading, developing, and evaluating mechanical systems
- Experience in developing defense program proposals, including propulsion or propellant related applications
- Recognized by peers as subject matter expert in propellants and interior ballistics modeling
- Working knowledge of interior ballistics 1D (IBHVG2) or 2D simulation codes, thermodynamic equilibrium calculations, constant pressure interior ballistic analysis
- 10+ years working in propulsion subsystem development, testing, and processing
- Experience as an Integrated Product Team (IPT) Lead and Cost Account Manager (CAM)
- Experience with AS9100/ISO 9001, CMMI, or Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP)
- Six Sigma/Lean certification
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification
- Demonstrated effectiveness in managing internal customer relationships, prioritization, and delegation
- Experience with coaching, developing talent, and maintaining the accountability of direct reports
- Demonstrated competencies of creativity and approachability
- Ability to balance people management needs and technical contributor aspects of this position
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written
- Ability to conduct concise, critical reviews designs as they are developed
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point, Project)
- Experience applying design for assembly / design for manufacturing (DFA/DFM)
- Ability to travel occasionally to interface with suppliers and meet with various customers
Orbital ATK Defense Systems Group is an industry leader in ammunition, precision and strike weapons, missile-warning solutions, and tactical rocket motors across air, sea and land-based systems. We are the largest U.S. producer of small-caliber ammunition, as well as a leading producer of medium- and large-caliber ammunition and medium-caliber gun systems. Orbital ATK Defense Systems also develops advanced capabilities for missile-defense interceptors, fuzing and warheads, weaponized special-mission aircraft, and propulsion/controls.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years