Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Princ Liquid Propulsion Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking an experienced Princ Liquid Propulsion Engineer to join our Liquid Propulsion team in Chandler, AZ or Dulles, VA office.
This opening is for an experienced Propulsion Engineer with a detailed technical understanding of Liquid Propulsion Engines. Job will require the engineer to develop a good working relationship with Liquid Engine Supplier engineers to collaborate and be integrated in the ongoing activities of design, development and integration of liquid engines.
The engineer will be expected to learn and be the expert on the entire engine system, in addition to whatever engine related issues are being worked, and will be expected to pull in and manage the appropriate support on detailed areas where additional support may be required.
Role Description & Responsibilities:
Job will require the engineer to develop a good working relationship with Liquid Engine Supplier engineers to collaborate and be integrated in the ongoing activities of design, development and integration of liquid engines. The engineer will be expected to learn and be the expert on the entire engine system, in addition to whatever engine related issues are being worked, and will be expected to pull in and manage the appropriate support on detailed areas where additional support is needed, such as materials or welding expertise. Engineer is expected to generate sound technical solutions for issues and then properly implement those solutions as required. The engineer will report status through the OmegA Upper Stage PEM and Chief Engineer to keep the program well informed of current status and issues being worked. Engineer will also work closely with the OmegA Vehicle PEM and team to work integration and detailed engine integration activities with the rest of the overall vehicle activities.
- Candidate must have a minimum of 7 years experience working with liquid propulsion systems.
- Candidate must have a minimum of 5 or more years of liquid rocket engine acceptance test and flight data review experience.
- Hold a valid US Passport.
- Ability to obtain a secret security clearance;
- Ability to Travel: Travel expectations of a minimum of 25% of time.
- Candidate must have ability to work with a diverse group of people including technicians, engineers, and management.
- Candidate must be fluent in preparing and reviewing technical presentations with a proficient understanding of the technical details of the engine system.
- Candidate must be proficient in Matlab software script generation tool for creating details scripts for engine post acceptance test data processing.
- Candidate must have experience with review of design analysis, manufacturing documentation, test data, hardware qualification and acceptance testing.
- Experience with MS Office Suite of products is required.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Candidate must have great verbal and written communication skills.
- Good communication skills and the ability to work with a diverse set of people including technicians, engineers and management and in a variety of work environments including office work, high bay and cleanroom work around hardware.
- Candidate must be fluent in preparing and reviewing technical presentations.
- Experience with design analyses, manufacturing documentation, hardware qualification / acceptance testing, system-level integration and test.
- Program management skills are a plus. Experience managing / coordinating small technical teams is a plus.
- Familiarity with analysis software is a plus: general (e.g. Matlab), fluid / thermal analysis (e.g. Sinda-Fluent), structural (CAD / FEM), trajectory (e.g. POST), EASY-5, Rocket Engine Transient Simulations (ROCETS).
- Familiarity with requirements and interface management a plus.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Aerospace, Mechanical or related field is required.
- Master of Science degree in Aerospace/Mechanical preferred
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 8-10 Years