Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Sr. Princ Mechanical Engineer- NGL Program
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission ? whether it?s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world?s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation?s largest manufacturer of ammunition. United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
The Sr. Princ Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for managing supplier activities relating to production of cryogenic propellant tanks. Scope of activities includes development of friction stir weld schedules, development of weld tooling for 5m class propellant tanks, process development for external insulation application, process development for precision clean operations and management of recurring production activities.
Applicant will be responsible for providing technical review and oversight and also for tracking and reporting progress status.
High Priority Qualifications:
- Prior experience with friction stir welding
- Prior experience with fabrication of large scale propellant tanks
- Experience with NDI, PAUT in particular
- Experience with external foam insulation, e.g. SOFI
- Experience with precision cleaning of large scale propellant tanks
- Experience with process development and process control
Perform analysis, design, or test of one or more moderately complex or portions of complex materials, structural components, and functional systems of company products. Generally work from preliminary studies developed by higher graded engineers. Analyze requirements for materials, structural component, or functional systems. Select applicable analytical data from previous products, determine the technical principles involved, mathematically define the problem and compute the engineering characteristics consistent with the specifications, design needs and requirements of other portions of the product. Release results as design data after review by higher graded engineer. Develop original ideas and elaborate on preliminary design concepts. Evaluate completed design with supervisor and other technical groups and make modification necessary to achieve the most ideal design. Develop and coordinate the conduct of test programs requires to evaluate design work.
- Demonstrates and applies technical expertise in several engineering disciplines. Serves as a subject matter expert in one engineering discipline or specialty area, or acts as a program team lead.
- Uses independent advanced knowledge and ideas to guide the development and implementation of technical solutions to highly complex problems. Participate in and/or lead FMEA activities.
- Anticipates customer needs and finds innovative ways to provide for those needs.
- Provides viable, well-thought out suggestions that carry significant benefit to the department or the organization. Continuously finds new and better ways of performing job.
- Perform anomaly resolution and conduct special studies.
- Determine engineering tasks required for project planning and execution; Analyze project requirements and develop detailed planning, conceptual designs, and risk analysis.
- Assume leadership role as task manager, CAM, and/or systems lead.
- Review and approve analysis performed by team members.
- Interact with internal and external customers.
- Provide technical guidance and direction to engineering team in the design, test, production and maintenance phases of a project.
- Develop and present materials for project related briefings including design reviews to be given to internal and external customers.
- Support new business and prepare proposal material.
- Generate engineering schedules and cost estimates for proposals/projects.
Education and Experience
Requires BS in Engineering & 10 years or Masters in Engineering & 7 years or PhD in Engineering & 5 years.
BS Mechanical Engineering degree is preferred.
U.S. Citizenship is required
Ability to obtain a security clearance is required
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products ? and your ideas ? into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you?ll be amazed at what you can do!We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years