Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Principal Mechanical Engineer/Chemical Engineer
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission ? whether it?s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world?s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation?s largest manufacturer of ammunition. United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Perform engineering analysis, design, or test of one or more moderately complex or portions of complex materials, structural components, and functional systems of company products, primarily in energetics laboratory environment within plant that is an energetics manufacturing site. This is a key role supporting design/development of new processes/new products involving chemical processing combined with mechanical assembly for current and future products. Analyze requirements for materials, processes, components, or functional systems. Select applicable analytical data from previous work, determine the technical principles involved, scientifically define the problem, compute, analyze, report and make data-based recommendations.
- Performs analysis, design, and/or test of one or more moderately complex or portions of complex materials, structural components, and functional systems.
- With limited supervision, applies theoretical knowledge and engineering techniques to the solution of more complex components, structures, and sub assemblies.
- Responds in a timely manner to all requests and explores all avenues within authority and makes appropriate referrals to other sources.
- Develop original ideas on preliminary design concepts with other technical groups and make modifications necessary to achieve the most ideal design.
- Develops design-build-test plans, supporting prototyping and concept phase laboratory scale engineering evaluations of chemicals, materials, and chemical-mechanical devices.
- Establish requirements for materials, structural components, and functional systems.
- Evaluates plant manufacturing conceptual impacts for proposed chemical and material changes, supporting projects and studies.
- Performs technical due diligence, literature reviews, engineering analysis, peer reviews, critical design reviews in a team environment.
- Document results of analysis, test, and design activities.
- Performs engineering oversight of key tests, sometimes assisting technicians and other peers to complete moderately complex experiments involving energetics in lab scale environment.
- Works with multi-disciplinary team of hazard analysts, chemists, chemical/process engineers, chief engineers, project managers to integrate new product and process technologies into lab and production scale environments.
- Able to address ambiguous, insufficiently defined technical problems with practical solutions within customer time and resource constraints.
Education and Experience
Requires at least one of the following:
1) BS in Chemical Engineering & 3 years experience in energetics or chemical processing plant or
2) Masters Degree in Engineering with Chemical Engineering or Chemistry bachelors degree.
Experience in energetic materials production environment is a plus.
Experience in chemical manufacturing plant / process is a plus.
Experience working in chemical laboratory is a plus.
Requires occasional travel <25%, likely <10%.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 3-5 Years