Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Principal Software Engineer
Orbital ATK, Defense Systems Group has an exciting opening for a Principal Software Engineer within the Armament Systems Division located in Plymouth, MN.
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
The development of innovative and intelligent armament systems, designed to protect and enable our armed forces, is accelerating. This has increased the need for engineers who have a passion for technology development, paired with demonstrated expertise in process excellence. These engineers will drive to continually outperform the competition and exceed customer expectations while acting with integrity, loyalty, and respect.
The Principle Software Engineer is an integral part of each product team. Involvement begins at system requirement definition and continues through system verification and test.
- Produce software specifications defining the capabilities and interfaces of each software item within a system
- Develop real time embedded C/C++ code for Microchip, Atmel, or TI microprocessor/DSP
- Generate and unit test code using IAR Integrated Development Environment, Code Composer or equivalent on a custom breadboard in a lab setting. Integrate multiple software items into a reliable working system
- Generate clear and professional plan, specification, design, test and release documentation per DoD standards
- Perform various types of analysis such as data, memory, algorithm and throughput analysis
- Concisely and accurately report technical details and status, collect software metrics and generate reports
- Provide cost estimates, proposal write-up and/or technical approach for future software activities
- Lead a small group of software development and test engineers. Manage budget, schedule, and resources.
- Participate in design reviews and technical presentations to management and customers
- Follow CMMI compliant software processes
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer /Software Engineering or Electrical Engineering
- Minimum of 7 years of experience with BS, or 5 years of experience with MS
- Experience working with embedded real time software systems in close coordination with Electrical Engineering.
- Comfortable in a lab environment working with tools such as function generators and oscilloscopes
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to work independently and organize/prioritize job assignments and tasks
- Effective interpersonal, written and oral communication skills, as well as the ability to present data and information to large audiences
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced, rapidly changing, short turn-around environment
- Must be a U.S. citizen and qualify for a U.S. Government security clearance
- 10-15 years of experience with BS, or 7-10 years of experience with MS, however, applicants with more or less experience are encouraged to apply. The job level is somewhat adaptable.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience developing C/C++ embedded software
- Familiarity with AS9100 and CMMI Level 3 standard practices and lifecycle processes and / or DoD standards
Orbital ATK Defense Systems Group is an industry leader in ammunition, precision and strike weapons, missile-warning solutions, and tactical rocket motors across air, sea and land-based systems. We are the largest U.S. producer of small-caliber ammunition, as well as a leading producer of medium- and large-caliber ammunition and medium-caliber gun systems. Orbital ATK Defense Systems also develops advanced capabilities for missile-defense interceptors, fuzing and warheads, weaponized special-mission aircraft, and propulsion/controls.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years