Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Supplier Quality Engineer
Orbital ATK is currently seeking a Supplier Quality Engineer in our Mission Assurance department in our Elkton, Maryland office.
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission - whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
The Orbital ATK Missile Defense and Controls (MD&C) facility in Elkton, Maryland began solid-propellant rocket operations in 1948. Today, the Elkton MD&C facility designs, develops, and produces solid-propellant propulsion and ordnance systems in programs professionally managed for a wide variety of Government and commercial customers. The facility also serves as the hub for offsite engineering and test facilities in Ronkonkoma, NY, Palm Beach Gardens, FL and San Jose, CA.
Mission Assurance organization is seeking an engineer to work closely with first- and sub-tier suppliers to implement mission assurance plans for individual programs addressing design, manufacturing, integration, and test activities in accordance with company and contractual requirements. Works as a member of an integrated product team with Orbital ATK Mission Assurance staff in various groups to address technical issues, meet program requirements and ensure mission success. Interface with suppliers, customers, and with Orbital ATK Manufacturing, Integration & Test and Engineering organizations to identify and resolve mission assurance issues.
Provide Quality Engineering oversight and source inspections at suppliers of rocket motor, control systems, hypersonic, and related components and assemblies. The candidate will develop relationships and partner with our suppliers to meet supply chain objectives and improve quality performance. Candidate may assist in the disposition and corrective action follow-up for nonconforming material and review of supplier documentation. Candidate will need to exhibit strong leadership qualities with ability to work directly with suppliers.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Perform source inspections, process reviews, and witness testing at supplier facilities ensuring procured product meets drawings, specifications, processes and statement of work requirements.
- Perform on-site supplier assessment surveys and periodic audits. Review manufacturing processes at suppliers to ensure product quality requirements and specifications can be met.
- Ensure compliance with contract, program, quality and organizational requirements.
- Assist receiving inspection in resolving inspection and documentation issues.
- Work with procurement, program management, program quality, engineering, and manufacturing, inspection, and government representatives to resolve issues with discrepant supplier material.
- Investigate trends and issue timely corrective action requests to suppliers to resolve discrepant material issues and determine root cause.
- Interface with Orbital ATK management and IPT members, suppliers and customers in technical reviews, hardware inspections, and Quality audits.
- Ensure alignment of inspection requirements with material specification to confirm materials meet specifications.
- Recommend and support new methods / materials for continual improvement in the quality or efficiency of a product or process.
- Support supplier root cause analysis and performing follow up on effectiveness of supplier implemented corrective actions.
- Provide oversight in discrepancy review, failure investigations, as well as cause and corrective action determinations.
Education and Experience
Requires BS in Engineering & 7 years or Masters in Engineering & 5 years or PhD in Engineering & 2 years. Electrical engineering degree preferred.
Model candidate skills and experience include: Understand/communicate technical matters sufficiently to drive excellence and assist in process control. Experience with electromechanical control systems, issues in using COTS electronic components and parts in military applications, machined parts, mechanical/physical properties, related processes and inspection techniques. Experience with managing supplier quality in the production of PCB, PCBA and electromechanical assemblies. Capable of evaluating supplier Verification and Validation approaches for electromechanical control systems or subsystems including tests on electronic cables/harnesses and mechanical assemblies and/or systems. Confidence to provide effective supplier evaluation of malfunctions and failures, corrective action and preventative measure implementation. Enforce Quality Management System, with attention to detail.
- Able to read engineering documentation (including electromechanical systems) and inspect drawings and parts lists, inspection plans, and supplemental instructions to ensure conformance.
- Extensive knowledge base in Cause Analysis tools, such as Ishikawa, FMEA, DOE, KTA (Kepner Tregoe Analysis).
- Previous experience managing elements of AS/ISO/CMMI certified internal and external organization.
- Strong communication skills with ability to develop and maintain good communications and working relationships with internal and external clients.
- Experience with US defense procurement requirements (FAR/DFAR).
- Position requires 50% travel to interface with suppliers.
- Able to communicate clearly and effectively, having strong verbal and writing skills.
- Must be a U.S. citizen and be able to obtain a DoD Secret Clearance.
Orbital ATK Defense Systems Group is an industry leader in ammunition, precision and strike weapons, missile-warning solutions, and tactical rocket motors across air, sea and land-based systems. We are the largest U.S. producer of small-caliber ammunition, as well as a leading producer of medium- and large-caliber ammunition and medium-caliber gun systems. Orbital ATK Defense Systems also develops advanced capabilities for missile-defense interceptors, fuzing and warheads, weaponized special-mission aircraft, and propulsion/controls.
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products, and your ideas, into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you’ll be amazed at what you can do! We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: 25-50%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years
Expertise: Regulations, Audits, AutoCAD, Automated Manufacturing, Quality Assurance, Blueprints, Quality Engineering, CAD, System Controls, Mechanical assembly, Electro-Mechanical Systems, Electrical Systems, Engineering, Electronic assembly, Government Regulations, Written/Verbal Communication, Vendor Relationship Management, Communication Skills, Engineering