Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Sr. Principal Mechanical Engineer
Orbital ATK is seeking a Sr. Principal Mechanical Engineer for our location in Plymouth, MN.
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
This position is for a technical team leader (Sr. Principal Engineer) in the Fuzing and Warheads Development Group. This position requires an individual who can multi-task, delegate effectively, and possess exceptional time management skills. This position requires excellent communication, writing, and presentation skills. You will interface with program managers and customers, and direct the work of engineers of various disciplines to accomplish program objectives. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Technical team leader on ordnance programs working directly with the program team to oversee the design architecture to meet customer requirements, and the engineering design process to be in accordance with established Orbital ATK procedures.
- Act as the technical liaison and the technical point of contact for our customers on the programs to which you are assigned.
- Provide technical oversight of design trade studies to select the best possible design solution, taking into account key requirements including, but not limited to, system performance and functionality, material selection, strength, weight, manufacturability and cost.
- Provide technical oversight to insure that our design process, peer reviews, and program reviews are conducted in accordance with the established procedures of the Orbital ATK Quality Management System.
- Work with the program team to prepare for technical interchange meetings and key program reviews with the customer including the System Requirement Review (SRR), System Functional Review (SFR), Preliminary Design Review (PDR) and Critical Design Review (CDR).
- Presentation of assigned work at program technical reviews and in written technical reports. This includes the oversight of technical presentations conducted by engineers working under your direction on the program.
- Coordinate with production engineers and production facilities to transition the ordnance design into production. Coordinate Design for Assembly (DFA) and Design for Manufacturing (DFM) workshops during the design and development phase of the program.
- Management of cost and schedule for assigned projects/programs.
- Participate in business development activities including development of technology roadmaps, customer interface meetings, proposal writing and cost estimating.
- BS in Engineering is required, preferably Mechanical or Aerospace.
- Desired to have ten or more years of related engineering design and leadership experience, preferably in the Defense Industry.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team leadership environment. It is highly desirable to have prior team leadership experience that requires delegation of responsibilities.
- Ability to multitask and organize/prioritize job assignments in a rapidly changing, short turn-around environment.
- Strong communication skills for both oral presentations and written communications.
- Strong mechanical aptitude with a diverse experience base. Knowledge of manufacturing processes.
- Strong understanding of computer aided design (CAD).
- Possess an understanding of finite element analysis for structural analysis and thermal analysis of designs.
- Understanding of Six Sigma disciplines and design for assembly / design for manufacturing (DFA/DFM).
- Experience with cost account management and reporting, preferably the Earned Value Management System (EVMS).
- Exposure to requirements management tools such as TeamCenter Systems Engineering or DOORS is desirable.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point, Project).
- Ability and willingness to travel (approximately 6 to 10 times per year) to meet with customers and suppliers.
- Security regulations require that the individual must be a U.S. citizen and must have the ability to obtain a DoD security clearance to a level of SECRET.
Orbital ATK Defense Systems Group is an industry leader in ammunition, precision and strike weapons, missile-warning solutions, and tactical rocket motors across air, sea and land-based systems. We are the largest U.S. producer of small-caliber ammunition, as well as a leading producer of medium- and large-caliber ammunition and medium-caliber gun systems. Orbital ATK Defense Systems also develops advanced capabilities for missile-defense interceptors, fuzing and warheads, weaponized special-mission aircraft, and propulsion/controls.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years