Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is searching for a Propulsion Engineer to join our Propulsion Engineering team within the Launch Vehicle Division at the Chandler, AZ facility.
Perform analysis, design, or test of one or more moderately complex or portions of complex materials, structural components, and functional systems of company products. Generally work from preliminary studies developed by higher graded engineers. Analyze requirements for materials, structural component, or functional systems. Select applicable analytical data from previous products, determine the technical principles involved, mathematically define the problem and compute the engineering characteristics consistent with the specifications, design needs and requirements of other portions of the product. Release results as design data after review by higher graded engineer. Develop original ideas and elaborate on preliminary design concepts. Evaluate completed design with supervisor and other technical groups and make modification necessary to achieve the most ideal design. Develop and coordinate the conduct of test programs requires to evaluate design work.
- The Propulsion Engineer will perform a wide range of duties associated with the specification, procurement, test, and delivery of related hardware for use on launch vehicle platforms.
- Candidate will be support for all aspects of product management, including resolving technical issues, scheduling of production and test activities, and working through potential conflicts with suppliers. In addition, candidate will maintain detailed records for each component type, which includes specifications, purchase orders, pedigrees, test results, key technical characteristics, and non-conformances.
- The ideal Candidate for this role will be one who is comfortable working on a variety of problems across a range of hardware subsystems. A Candidate will work as part of an Integrated Product Team (IPT) under the guidance of a Lead Engineer. As part of the IPT, the Candidate will need to be able to effectively communicate and interface with suppliers, other departments, and customers, both internal and external, to ensure the components meet the vehicle needs and requirements.
- The Candidate will help research, design, test, and document various hardware systems. The Candidate will gather information for desired design and processing changes from various vendors and present them to management for approval.
- The Candidate will resolve nonconformances and implement corrective actions.
- The Candidate will be required to perform and publish analyses, by applying sound engineering principles and techniques. The Candidate will plan engineering activities, such as component tests and technical analyses to ensure the product meets specified requirements.
- The Candidate will also support the gathering, maintaining, formatting, compiling and assessing technical data, such as laboratory or material test results and engineering design changes.
- The Candidate will produce engineering documentation, reports, drawings, and presentations. The Candidate will support the writing and implementation of Specification and other Requirements Documents, Statements of Work, Work Packages, and Test Reports. Create pedigrees, qualification matrices, as well as document any deficiencies to internal engineering standards.
- Perform post-flight data review including determining performance characteristics and document results for final post- flight reports.
- The Candidate will be expected to be proactive in learning and work to become an expert in the design and performance characteristics of various hardware subsystems. Will be responsible for supporting the development of technical solutions for issues, and properly implement those solutions. Candidate will be expected to coordinate with necessary subject matter expert support in the company as needed to achieve those necessary objectives
Education and Experience
Requires Bachelors of Science Degree in Engineering & 2 years or Masters in Engineering.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- A Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering is highly preferred.
- Candidate must possess good interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal, problems solving skills with ability to work with a diverse group of people including technicians, engineers and management and in a variety of work environments. Candidate must be fluent in preparing and reviewing technical presentations and can be frequently called upon to create technical briefs for management.
- Candidate must have ability to travel, expected at least 10% of the time.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 1-3 Years