Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Sr. Electrical Engineer - RTL/FPGA, HW Design
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission ? whether it?s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world?s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation?s largest manufacturer of ammunition. United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
RTL / FPGA and HW Design Sr. Engineer for tactical missile system development and production programs
Key responsibilities include:
- Active DoD Secret Clearance or the ability to obtain one
- The desired candidate will be experienced (5 to 10 years) in RTL coding using VHDL and is proficient with hardware development using state of the art both Xilinx and Altera FPGA development toolsets. Experience with high speed communication ports is a plus.
- Familiarity with design security features in Xilinx and Altera FPGA are an added plus as are any experience in anti-tamper and cybersecurity implementations.
- The candidate will also be experienced with the Mentor Graphics EDA toolset for design and simulation of circuits and be familiar with state-of-the-art programmable logic and electronic devices including high speed communication, embedded processors, and DSPs.
- Experience with the FPGA and HW design process from concept to test and delivery is also required. Hardware test and integration experience in a laboratory environment will include practical usage of a variety of test equipment including Oscilloscopes, Logic Analyzers, and DMMs. Strong knowledge of programming languages including C/C++, as well as Microsoft Office is desired. Excellent oral and verbal communication skills are required, with the ability to communicate at a detailed technical level as well as the ability to distill advanced concepts into fundamental principles for teammates. Able to perform in a multi-disciplinary research and development environment.
- Develops, coordinates and conducts Analog and Digital designs and evaluations of engineering design concepts.
- Experience creating test plans and procedures for a variety of circuit card and environmental testing.
- Develops specifications and requirements, reviews Engineering Change Proposals, and generates formal whitepapers and failure reports.
- Oversees or participates in hardware and integration in a laboratory environment testing.
- Supports program Engineering Configuration Change Board (CCB), Corrective Action Board (CAB) and Failure Review Boards (FRB), as required.
- Identifies opportunities for improvement based on review of failure data and supports development and implementation of component design improvements or updates.
- Supports design reviews and test activities, as needed. Supports subcontractor assessment, selection and coordination activities with respect to Analog and Digital needs.
Experience and Skill Requirements:
- Minimum 5 - 10 years of experience in RTL/FPGA and HW product design and development.
- Direct Digital conversion experience / signal processing hardware experience / Data link experience is a plus.
- Experience desired in manufacturing support, characterization, test.
- Ability to use and collect test data using Digital Storage Oscilloscopes, Digital Multimeters, Logic Analyzers, Software Based Debugging tools, In-Circuit Emulators, RF Network Analyzers, Spectrum Analyzers, and signal generators required. Interpretation of RF Test data and radiation patterns desired
- Ability to read and interpret military requirements, specifications, and Engineering drawings/schematics.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to build effective working relationships with customers, coworkers, and vendors are a must.
- Ability to communicate findings to customers and management.
- Self-starter capable of performing assigned tasks with some direction.
- Innovated thinker with a demonstrated ability of solving complex problems which require ingenuity and “out of the box” ideas. Ability to work with cross-functional team
- Ability to study and understand complex electronics/mechanical systems
- Meticulous documentation and attention to traceability skills
- Ability to create or review presentations, emails, white papers, trade studies, and reports for content and accuracy.
- Familiarity with Mentor PCB Design suite (DxDesigner, Layout, Simulation), Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, Visio), and CAD tools.
- Familiarity with Printed Wire Board and Circuit Card Assembly processes (schematic capture, layout, fabrication, assembly) from concept thru design and production and sustaining through end-of-life.
- Ability to follow company processes and procedures
- BS in Electrical Engineering, MS preferred.
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products ? and your ideas ? into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you?ll be amazed at what you can do!We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 3-5 Years