Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Princ. Electrical Engineer - Component
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission ? whether it?s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world?s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation?s largest manufacturer of ammunition. United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Perform analysis, design, or test of one or more complex designs, which require use of ingenuity and creativity and without detailed direction from more senior engineers. Based on generally defined problems, study design concepts and criteria to ascertain the engineering principles involved. Without detailed direction, plan, prepare, and complete the design. Evaluate completed design with more senior engineers and other technical groups and make modifications necessary to achieve a design that satisfies requirements. Develop, coordinate, and conduct the test programs required to evaluate the design.
May also oversee component supplier design, analysis, manufacture, and test. May also oversee, with senior engineer support, subsystem supplier design, analysis, manufacture, and test.
Position Requirements & Responsibilities:
The position is for a Component Princ Engineer for tactical missile system development and production programs.
Ensure the electrical components that are used in the tactical product and special test equipment are suitable and available for the intended use.
Will support engineering and operations in selecting and obtaining electrical components, ensuring component requirements are met across the entire life cycle, monitoring component availability to ensure components are available to meet production and sustainment needs, finding alternate sources for components, and establishing component standards.
Key responsibilities include:
- Supporting design teams in selecting electronic technology and components, including investigating and recommending alternative solutions.
- Be cognizant and conversant with parts suppliers and manufacturing houses to identify potential injection of counterfeit parts
- Build-Of-Material maintenance for potential counterfeit parts and current parts’ certifications
- Applying component derating standards.
- Maintaining approved part and vendor lists. This may include
- Establishing standard titles for components.
- Maintaining component descriptions to the standard format.
- Flagging obsolete and End of Life parts.
- Consolidating duplicate parts and standardizing parts to reduce inventory.
- Supporting value engineering efforts to reduce cost.
- Analyzing bills of material and developing solutions to resolve issues associated with obsolete and End of Life components, taking into account such factors as availability, lead-time, and cost.
- Conducting failure analyses on and developing corrective actions for failed components (working with suppliers, as necessary).
- Facilitating communication and interactions between suppliers and design teams.
- Analyzing component failure trends.
- Participating in design reviews to review component selection and promote standardization.
- Participating in Material Review Boards and Configuration Control Boards.
- Coordinating and performing failure analyses and corrective action activities for electronic components.
Experience and Skill Requirements:
- Must have a BS and 7+ years of experience, or MS and 5+ years of experience in related field.
- Must hold an active DoD Secret Clearance or have the ability to obtain one.
- Experience with selecting parts to meet reliability, corrosion, tin whisker, other types of whiskers, and safety-related requirements.
- Familiarity with NAS411 Hazardous Materials Target List Standard Practice
- Possess technical aptitude and ability to learn and has the technical depth to work in a development, production and product sustainment environments.
- Experience calculating MTBF.
- High-level of competence in electronic component composition, standards, process and properties.
- Contacts and experience working with electronic component manufacturers
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Using oral and verbal presentation skills to effectively communicate at a detailed technical level, as well as distilling advanced concepts into fundamental principles for teammates and customers.
- Working and performing in a multi-disciplinary research and development environment.
- Must be a self-starter capable of performing assigned tasks with minimal direction.
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products ? and your ideas ? into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you?ll be amazed at what you can do!We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 8-10 Years