Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Princ Electrical Engr – HW-RTL Design
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission ? whether it?s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world?s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation?s largest manufacturer of ammunition. United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Position Requirements & Responsibilities:
The position is for a Hardware Design Principal Engineer for tactical missile system development and production programs.
Experience and Skill Requirements:
- Must have a BS and 7+ years of experience, or MS and 5+ years of experience in analog and digital designs including evaluation of engineering design concepts.
- Must hold an active DoD Secret Clearance or have the ability to obtain one.
- Must have a minimum 5+ years of experience in RTL/FPGA and HW product design and development.
- Must be familiar with Mentor PCB Design suite (DxDesigner, Layout, Simulation) and related CAD tools.
- Must be familiar with and proficient using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, Visio).
- Must have digital conversion, signal processing, and digital data interface experience.
- Must be familiar with general operational amplifier, A-to-D, D-to-A, and power supply circuits.
- Must be able to design interface circuits to ensure compatibility across different signal types.
- Must have the ability to follow company processes and procedures
- Must have the ability to use and collect test data using Digital Storage Oscilloscopes, Digital Multimeters, Logic Analyzers, Software Based Debugging tools, In-Circuit Emulators, RF Network Analyzers, Spectrum Analyzers, and Signal Generators.
- Must be able to read and interpret military requirements, specifications, and Engineering drawings/schematics.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and an ability to build effective working relationships with customers, coworkers, and vendors.
- Must be able to effectively communicate findings to customers and management.
- Must be a self-starter capable of performing assigned tasks with minimal direction.
- Must be an innovative thinker with a demonstrated ability for solving complex problems that may require ingenuity and “out of the box” ideas.
- Must be able to work in an inter-disciplinary functional team.
- Must be able to study and understand complex electronics/mechanical systems
- Must be meticulous with documentation.
- Must understand and be able to show traceability to requirements and technical references.
- Must be able to create or review presentations, emails, white papers, trade studies, and reports for content and accuracy.
- Must be familiar with Printed Wire Board and Circuit Card Assembly processes (schematic capture, layout, fabrication, assembly) from concept through design and production
- Must be able to sustain products through end-of-life, including obsolescence management.
- Knowledge of programming languages including C/C++ strongly desired.
- Interpretation of RF Test data and radiation patterns desired.
- Experience in manufacturing support, characterization, and test desired.
- Experience in anti-tamper and cybersecurity implementations also a plus.
Key responsibilities include:
- Developing hardware using state of the art Xilinx and Altera FPGA development toolsets.
- Developing RTL coding using VHDL.
- Developing designs using the Mentor Graphics EDA toolset for design and simulation of circuits.
- Performing Signal Integrity analysis.
- Overseeing and participating in hardware test and integration in a laboratory environment using a variety of test equipment including Oscilloscopes, Logic Analyzers, and DMMs.
- Using oral and verbal presentation skills to effectively communicate at a detailed technical level, as well as distilling advanced concepts into fundamental principles for teammates and customers.
- Working and performing in a multi-disciplinary research and development environment.
- Evaluating engineering design concepts.
- Creating test plans and procedures for a variety of circuit cards, including environmental testing.
- Developing specifications and requirements, reviewing Engineering Change Proposals, and generating formal whitepapers and failure reports.
- Supporting program Engineering Configuration Change Board (CCB), Corrective Action Board (CAB) and Failure Review Board (FRB) meetings as required.
- Identifying opportunities for improvement based on review of failure data and supporting development and implementation of component design improvements and updates.
- Supporting design reviews and test activities as needed.
- Supporting subcontractor assessment, selection and coordination activities with respect to analog and digital needs.
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products ? and your ideas ? into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you?ll be amazed at what you can do!We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years