Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Principal Software Assurance Engineer - Active Clearance Required
Principal Software Mission Assurance Engineer
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, more than 12,000 employees, and operations in 17 states across the U.S. and in several international locations, Orbital ATK is a global leader in aerospace and defense technologies. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch or protecting our nation. Headquartered in Dulles, Virginia, we design, build and deliver space, defense and aviation systems for customers around the world, both as a prime contractor and merchant supplier. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential.
Orbital ATK has an opening for a Principal Software Assurance Engineer in Dulles, VA. Active TS/SCI with Full Scope Polygraph is required.
Software Assurance is a unique function within Orbital ATK spacecraft programs, highly interactive and requiring a diverse background in overall spacecraft functions and subsystems, and strong knowledge of the software development life-cycle process including software planning, design, implementation, verification, validation, acceptance and delivery. The ideal candidate for this position will have a good understanding of the software life cycle, process and product compliance, ISO and CMMI audits, nonconformance system, and a detail oriented approach to identify and capture noncompliance and risks throughout the software’s development life cycle and maintenance. Excellent people and technical skills are required to coordinate with various subsystems, conduct compliance analysis and audits, implement corrective actions, and interact with management, customer and subcontractors.
- Develop and implement a software assurance plans based on contractual and compliance requirements
- Provide input/participate in program reviews such as Software Requirements Reviews, Preliminary Design Review, Critical Design Review, Test Readiness Review, etc.
- Review and approve software work products for internal and external delivery
- Oversee software requirements development and ensure requirements traceability from system level, to design, component, test, and back
- Plan, perform and report product and process compliance audits
- Ensure software product compliance to polices, processes, and standard requirements (e.g. ISO, CMMI, IEEE, NASA, SAE, etc.)
- Identify non-conformances and root cause; successfully implement corrective and preventive actions
- Chair Software Configuration Control Boards, review software changes and approved implementation using related software problem tracking tools (e.g. TRAC, Razor, Jira, etc.)
- Witness software/firmware verification testing, software patches and software validation to ensure compliance to requirements and procedures
- Interact with customer representatives, subcontractors and with Orbital ATK Software Engineering, System Engineering, Integration & Testing Engineering, and System Safety Engineering to ensure product’s compliance and to resolve issues
- Support Independent Verification and Validation board activities, ensure activities are implemented as planned; review issues and verify proper documentation, implementation and resolution
- Perform software safety and reliability assurance per applicable program plans
- Perform software subcontractor oversight, gap analysis and approve subcontractor deliverables
- Develop and deliver required metrics, presentations and reports to internal and external customers
Additional Responsibilities may include
- Software build releases
- Software lab testing
- Writing test scripts
- Writing Test Procedures and other technical documents
- BS in Engineering & 9 years or Master in Engineering & 7 years
- Strong understanding of fundamental engineering principles, practices, and theories
- Excellent written and oral communication skills as well as strong interpersonal and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of various software development life cycles
- Strong computer skills including MS Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of DOOR or similar requirements tracking tools
- Strong knowledge of nonconforming product tracking tool (e.g. Failure Review, Software Problem Reporting, etc.)
- Knowledge of related software assurance standards (e.g. ISO, CMMI, IEEE, NASA, SAE, etc.)
- Understand C/C++ programming
- Exposure to Matlab and Simulink
- Excellent writing communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to adapt to new challenges and ideas
- Exceptional customer responsiveness
- Ability to follow established processes and procedures
- Be detail oriented and thorough
- Ability to successfully work multiple concurrent tasks
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Must be self-motivated and detail-oriented
- Capable of working on multiple levels of compliance requirements
- Work well under pressure and adapts well to unplanned tasks
- Ability and willingness to continuously learn and implement new processes
- Dedicated to teamwork and be ability to work very well in a team environment
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products – and your ideas – into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you’ll be amazed at what you can do!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 8-10 Years