Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Princ Structural Dynamics / Stress Analysis Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Technical Services Division of Orbital ATK Space Systems Group located in Greenbelt, MD, is currently seeking a Structural Dynamics/Stress Analysis Engineer to support the development of spaceflight systems and components from concept through verification and delivery.
As part of the team the engineer will be responsible to:
- Develop structural concepts and perform preliminary sizing using classical mechanics calculations and Finite Element Analysis (FEA) to meet stiffness, strength and other critical requirements
- Support development of fight hardware from preliminary through detailed design, drawing release, manufacturing, integration, verification testing, and transportation,
- Support development of structural requirements
- Perform structural dynamics analyses to generate environmental and test specifications.
- Perform pre-test analysis. Lead and support structural verification tests.
- Provide structural engineering and analysis support to the IPT to ensure that the design meets all applicable requirements coordinating schedule, budget and deliverables with the IPT lead.
- Generate Finite Element Models and perform FEA for normal modes, linear static stress, vibration, acoustics, and distortion analyses as well as nonlinear assessments to predict and improve structural response as needed.
- 7 + years of experience with BS in aerospace, mechanical, or civil engineering or similar discipline
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with a graduate degree in one of these fields desirable.
- 5 + years of experience in the aerospace industry performing the duties described above.
- Working knowledge of NASTRAN FEA software. FEMAP or PATRAN as FEA pre- and post-processor. Experience performing classical mechanics and mechanical engineering analyses using Excel and/or MathCad.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 8-10 Years