Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Construction QA Inspector
With projected annual revenues of $4.5 billion, approximately 12,500 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission ? whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential.
Our Technical Services Division (TSD) is seeking a creative, highly-talented Construction Inspector (QA) for immediate employment for our NASA Wallops engineering support at Wallops Island, VA. The candidate will conduct field inspections of building construction and repair activities to ensure compliance with contract plans and specifications and with applicable Federal, State and NASA-specific codes pertaining to building, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, structural, and fire/life safety. He/she will attend pre-bid and post-award conferences and document details / findings of the meetings, and proposed amendments and details of Government Furnished Equipment (GFE) issues; Assists in orientation of accepted bidder(s)
The responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Performs hold-point and final inspections
- Enforces codes, prepares written discrepancy notices or facilitates and prepares stop work orders
- Reviews construction plans for compliance with Federal, State and NASA-specific codes pertaining to building, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical; underground plumbing and piping; Reports instances of apparent non-compliance with contract plans to Program Support Office
- Confers with architects, contractors, subcontractors and NASA Wallops representatives to explain and interpret code requirements and restrictions
- Provides inspection support for trade related construction (civil, structural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, life safety, architectural, etc.)
- Provides daily comments of construction inspections and maintains records and correspondence pertaining to inspection work; prepares and submits written daily inspection reports electronically and makes them available for review
- Monitors assigned construction project sites at a minimum of once per day; Provides more frequent inspections for sites with higher potential risk or contractors that are non-compliant as well as detailed oversight of hazardous work activities such as but not limited to crane lifts
- Conducts reviews of all construction permit submittal applications which can include but not limited to site-specific written safety plans for all construction projects
- Provides inspector presence on-site for all components of work; observes and monitors all aspects of project for compliance with project plans and specifications
- 7+ years of related experience (Relevant B.S. degree may be substituted for up to 4 years of experience in the construction field as a QA/QC/Supervisor)
- Knowledge of building codes and regulations pertaining to public health and safety
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and local laws, codes, and ordinances pertaining to construction activities
- Ability to read, interpret, and explain construction drawings, specifications, data and photographs
- Good communications and writing skills and possess sound judgment working with contractors, peers and government employees
- OSHA 30-hour construction safety training (will be obtained after start if not currently held)
- Previous NASA experience
- Storm Water Management Inspector Certification
- Erosion and Sediment Control Inspector Certification
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products and your ideas into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you’ll be amazed at what you can do!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 8-10 Years
Education: High School/GED