Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Sr Machinist (Requires Active Security Clearance)
This position requires an active secret security clearance
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
We are currently seeking an experienced Sr. Machinist to join our team at our facility on the Eastern Shore of Virginia in the local vicinity of NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operate conventional, special purpose, and machining centers to fabricate metallic and nonmetallic parts, and fits and assembles machined parts into complete units
- Utilize prints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications, or sample part to produce aerospace quality hardware
- Perform all machine operations to produce quality hardware with aerospace quality standards and specifications
- Fit and assemble parts into complete assemble, using jigs, fixtures, surface plate, surface table, hand tools, and power tools
- Verify dimensions and alignment of assembly, using measuring instruments, such as micrometers, height gauges, and gauge blocks
- Exercise independence of technical support and utilize experience in making judgments
- Perform other related duties as assigned or required
- Proficiency with M and G code, as well as other CNC programming languages may be required.
- Technical knowledge and experience is required to solve complex mechanical and mathematical problems associated with proper setup of lathes and milling machines.
- Working knowledge in the design of jigs and fixtures for setting up machining operations in three planes to very close tolerances
- Mechanical and metalworking knowledge including the ability to drill and tap holes, minor sheet metal work, and/or light machining
- Must be familiar with hydraulic and or pneumatic systems
- Capable of understanding technical written documents, prints, schematics, and procedures
Training and Certifications in the following may be required:
Minimum Education Required
Minimum Experience Required
Additional Desired/Preferred Requirements/Responsibilities
- Support design, development, construction, or evaluation of hardware relevant to sub-orbital vehicles
- Support integration tests for sub-orbital vehicles
- Fabricate or modify mechanical parts including prototype hardware, brackets, payload skins, and GSE
- Conduct tests on subcontractor supplied hardware as well as routine testing of new inventory components
- Set up and operate equipment for integration tests and to support launches
- Fit and assemble parts into complete assemblies using jigs, fixtures, surface plate, surface table, hand tools, and power tools.
- Fabricate and test mechanical components and subsystems
- Resolve hardware compliance problems and coordinate work to assist with system integration of both the technical ground hardware and the flight hardware.
- Responsibility of performing inspection, assembly, testing, and checkout, shipping of various rocket motors, igniters, and electro-explosive devices according to written procedures.
- Responsible for inspection, acceptance, assembly, testing, and checkout of all vehicle inert hardware such as fins, tail cans, interstages, launch lugs, adapters, electro-mechanical devices, etc.
- Perform non-routine assignments required to support a complete mission project involving the transporting, assembly, checkout, and launch of various rocket vehicle systems.
- Perform flight preparation and checkout of all launch vehicle hardware and systems to meet flight readiness.
- Perform safe launch vehicle and pad operations prior to and during countdowns under the direction of the launch pad supervisor.
- Use approved documentation and safety principles while performing hazardous related duties at launch sites
- Transport rocket motors and explosives over roads and highways
- Knowledge and practical application required to perform inspection, assembly, testing, checkout, and flight preparation of rocket motors, stages, launch vehicles, rocket launchers, and other related flight hardware and GSE
- Coordinate and expedite flow of material, parts, and assemblies in accordance with production and shipping schedules or mission related deadlines
- Responsible for maintaining stock records, ordering, and stocking of received supplies and maintaining inventory and status records of electronic equipment
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 3-5 Years
Education: High School/GED