Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Sr Mechanical Engineer
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Orbital ATK is currently seeking an experienced engineer to fill the position of Nozzle Materials & Process Design Sr. Mechanical Engineer. The candidate will be responsible for supporting a diverse team of engineers through various test efforts, data analysis activities and engineering document updates primarily for the SLS program. The primary work location is at the Promontory, Utah campus.
Role description & Responsibilities:
The Nozzle Materials & Process Design Engineer is the technical expert in the behavior of phenolics, structural adhesives and other materials used in nozzle design and processing. The primary accountabilities are:
- Technical owner of design requirements for nozzle materials and processes for NASA, commercial and strategic programs
- Design support for Nozzle VSO with focus on production and resolution of production issues
- Principle investigator and contributor for test efforts involving nozzle materials and processes, including troubleshooting and problem resolution
- Technical lead of Phenolics Commodity Team
- Principle investigator for test plans associated with nozzle materials and processes
- Resolution of material obsolescence issues and evaluation of replacements
- Recommended design/material changes to address legacy production challenges
- Define and manage requirements for nozzle materials and processes
- Define test objectives, author engineering test plans, prepare test reports, and provide oversight for test activities
- Development, qualification, execution, and on-going support of new test specimens and methods as dictated by program needs
- Provide technical design and production support to the Nozzle VSO (focus on production and resolution of issues)
- Provide MRB support and disposition as needed to maintain production or testing schedule and ensure compliance with test requirements
- Coordinate with functional organizations (component design engineering, project engineering, process engineering, quality engineering, analysis engineering, program management) in the development and execution of requirements for nozzle component design and test objectives
- Support component design engineering in development and execution of component designs and specifications
- Define and champion strategic roadmap for nozzle materials
- Represent the M&P discipline to internal customers, external customers, and team members
- Coordinate peer reviews, analysis, project status, and customer reviews
- Ensure work product and deliverables comply with requirements and standards
- Primary interface will be with R&D scientists, Test and Research Operations, component design engineers, structural analysts, program leadership, and cross functional product teams that support NASA, DoD, and commercial programs.
- Minimum 4 years experience in engineering or related field
- Knowledge of composite or phenolic materials and related manufacturing processes
- Hands-on experience with production processing
- Demonstrated team leadership skills – formal leader of classical engineering function/discipline and/or significant technical projects or investigations (UUEC), and management of multiple developmental program tasks to schedule and budget
- Travel expectation of 1% – 5%, with primary location at Promontory - presence at Bacchus and Clearfield as needed.
- Knowledge of solid rocket motor engineering design, analysis, test, and manufacturing processes
- Knowledge of nozzle engineering design, analysis, test, and manufacturing processes
- Previous team leadership experience, and hands-on design and/or analysis preferred
- Experience with NASA, commercial and strategic programs and configuration management requirements
Skills & Qualifications:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the capability to address high levels of management, detail oriented design and analysis engineers, and both internal and external customers and suppliers
- Interpersonal skills and organizational savvy to ensure success: easily relate well to a wide variety of diverse styles, build diverse networks, be quick to find common ground, and collaborate well with others
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Detail-oriented but able to understand the big picture
- Demonstrated critical problem solving skills
- Lead or significant contributor on IRAD or technical development projects
- BS degree in Chemical, Mechanical or Material Science Engineering with 4 years experience, MS with 2 years of experience, or PhD
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Orbital ATK Flight Systems Group provides products and services that span the launch, missile systems and aerospace markets. We are a premier producer of solid rocket propulsion systems and specialty energetic products; a leading provider of small and medium class space launch vehicles for Civil, DoD and Commercial missions; a major supplier of interceptor boosters and target vehicles for missile defense; and a world class manufacturer of composite primary and secondary structures for commercial and military aircraft and launch vehicles.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years