Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Princ Aerospace Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking an experienced Principal Aerospace Engineer to join our Conceptual Design and Flight Performance team at our Bacchus, Utah offices.
Role description & Responsibilities:
The Principal Aerospace Engineer will be responsible for all aspects of conceptual rocket motor design, flight performance and system-level design and analysis, and includes
- Develop new concepts for use in marketing, proposal, and programmatic efforts that help shape the future of our business
- Present technical solutions and information to engineering organizations, internal and external customers, and to company leadership.
- Perform trajectory analysis of launch vehicles, missiles, and sounding rockets
- Design and optimize conceptual propulsion elements and vehicles
- Develop multi-body dynamics/separation simulations
- Create system-level trade studies
- Solve a variety of challenging, often open-ended, aerospace engineering problems
- Candidate must have a minimum of 7 years of experience in rocket-related design, analysis, manufacturing, or project/systems engineering
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to clearly present technical information
- Willing and able to be flexible in work assignments, which may vary frequently from tasks including analysis, design, project engineering, systems engineering, etc.
- Able to see how the system works (big picture) while working on individual components (details)
- Qualify for DOD secret clearance
- Trajectory simulation of launch vehicles
- Orbital mechanics and interplanetary mission design
- Aerodynamics and/or loads & environments
- Multi-body dynamics simulation
- Programming language: Matlab, C++ or other
- System-level trade and sensitivity studies
Skills & Qualifications:
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- General computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Ability and willingness to work overtime when necessary to support customer needs
- BS/MS degree in Aerospace, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering or related field required.
BS degree and 7 years of experience; or MS degree and 5 years of experience
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years