Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Staff Systems Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking an experienced SLS Static Test Staff Systems Engineer to provide leadership to our SLS full scale static test of Full Scale Booster (FSB-1) at our Promontory, Utah offices.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The SLS Static Test Chief Systems Engineer position provides overall technical logic, plan definition, management, and execution assurance via technical and project managerial enabling support; in particular, development of project objectives & Instrumentation required, proposals and plans, definition of phases and elements of work, CR/CN generation, performance tracking and execution assurance management are fundamental. Candidates must possess strong integration skills particularly integrating booster subsystems with Test Area infrastructure, systems and timelines. Transition from EM1/2 booster configuration to FSB 1 and future BOLE DM/QM engineering design to implementation/build with associated production planning, procurement, and MRB support. Position requires knowledge of heritage Space Shuttle Booster hardware, technical expertise to support testing certification logic and justification, and ability to rapidly organize resources to address all aspects of design integrity and performance to SLS Booster testing requirements.
Responsible for technical aspects of static test integration. Lead the full-scale static test team that successfully assembles, instruments, and tests FSB -1 which typically includes: implementation and adaptation of new instrumentation technologies; developing documentation for complex subassemblies and assemblies; coordinating efforts between component design teams, test integration engineering, the customer, and Test Services to reach technically appropriate solutions; and resolving complex technical issues under strategically important static test time constraints.
Key member of the bunker staff for SLS full-scale static tests as responsible to understand the basis for test commit criteria requirements, contingency plans, and the technical experts to consult.
Providing technical leadership for the test IPT, coordinating project personnel from multiple engineering functions, making technical decisions relating to the complexities of motor test, and monitoring and mentoring supporting project and design engineers.
- SLS Booster Static Test ownership – Test, Test Readiness Review, Post Test disassembly & assessment, Booster Assembly, integration, instrumentation, drawing tree, static test differences TR, MRB and static test configuration
- Technical leadership of the SLS Static Test Team including weekly team meetings, minutes, etc
- Engineering focal point for SLS Program Management, NASA Static Test EDLE and NASA IPT
- Responsible for all SLS Static Test Engineering discipline planning, interface and coordination
- Represent SLS Static Test team in CCB, ERB/ECB, BITM, MRB, SMRBs, etc
- Responsible for SLS Static Test technical issue resolution
- Responsible for Structures technical issue resolution
- Minimum of 15 years of related to Solid Rocket Booster Design, analysis, testing and project engineering experiences.
- Experience in solid rocket booster design, analysis, testing, loads, integration, & hardware fabrication
- Knowledge, use and application of engineering and processing documentation (i.e., drawings, specifications, table tops, parts lists, change requests, change notices, planning, mrb)
- Excellent presentation skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Integration risk assessment skills (i.e., ability to balance between technical risk and cost)
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill in using Microsoft Office Applications including project
- Proficient writing skills (grammar/punctuation/spelling)
- Responsible for Design, Analysis, and Testing Engineering for solid rocket booster/motor
- Responsible SLS booster system and/or sub systems applicable to full scale static testing
- Experience with IMS and ETM
- Familiarity with Northrop Grumman's NASA Projects CM, PCR, and board approval processes.
- Demonstrated Leadership and organizational skill experiences
Skills & Qualifications:
- Ability to work independently and make logical decisions
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with ability to prioritize work and schedule
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to coordinate and work well with management, coworkers, and internal customers
- Strong problem solving skills
- Attention to detail but able to understand big picture
- Willingness to accept challenging work with positive attitude
- Flexibility to accept, learn and perform new job functions
- Committed to continuous improvement
- Ability to travel on an occasional basis
- BS degree in Engineering or related field required. Consideration will be given to candidates with a BS degree in other engineering disciplines with strong relevant experience
(MS degree with 10 years, BS degree with 15 years, or PhD with 7 years’ experience)
- A graduate degree in Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering is highly preferred
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years