Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Sr Princ Systems Engineer
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Orbital ATK is currently seeking an experienced Sr. Principal Systems Engineer to provide leadership to our Avionics and Stage controls team in our Promontory, UT offices.
Role description & Responsibilities:
The Sr. Principal Systems Engineer will serve as the LRU Project Engineer and provides overall technical logic, plan definition, management, and execution assurance via technical and project management enabling support; in particular development of project objectives, definition of phases and elements of work, CR/CN generation, performance tracking and execution assurance management and fundamentals. Position includes portions of avionics/electrical systems component engineering scope, including design, testing, and verification/certification for rocket propulsion elements. Position ensures technical integrity of the related scope is achieved within cost and schedule constraints. Selected candidate will be responsible to assure engagement of the appropriate expertise, skillsets, and resources to execute the related technical content. Also responsible for assignment of tasks and priorities to executing functional organizations with necessary content to successfully fulfill the related contract requirements. Responsible for proposal support, related scope planning, schedule management, and supplier technical oversight. Primary interfaces will be the SLS Electrical and Controls CE, the NASA customer, other technical authorities (as required), PM for budget/schedule issues, and D&A and M&P for component technical execution issue.
Major roles and responsibilities include:
- Project Engineer over manufacturing, analysis, and qualification of SLS Avionics Line Replaceable Units (LRU)
- Primary interface with the SLS Electrical and Controls CE and NASA Customer
- Regular coordination with PM for budget/schedule, DE/AE, M&P, and EEE Parts community for component technical execution.
- Regular coordination and project management of LRU subcontractor L-3 Technologies Cincinnati Electronics (Occasional travel required)
- Work closely with Quality Engineering to disposition MRB associated with Flight LRU Builds
- Proposal support, scope planning, schedule management, and supplier technical oversight
- In depth understanding of CM practices associated with major subcontractor (submittal process)
General PE functions to ensure proper execution of assigned areas including:
- Develop, Execute, and Lead the execution of the project plan – includes tasking support organizations via ETM & CM System
- Definition, organization, and management of assigned projects from conception through execution; both internally to Orbital ATK and externally to major subcontractor
- Support for formal reviews (DCR, PRR, etc.) and close out RIDs as applicable
- Project/product design and compliance reviews meeting company standards, customer contract requirements, and all related specifications.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience related to Electrical/Avionics, analysis, testing and project engineering
- Knowledge, use and application of engineering and processing documentation (i.e., drawings, specifications, table tops, parts lists, change requests, change notices, planning, MRB)
- Working knowledge of both Analog and Digital systems; familiarity with common aerospace bus architectures (MIL-STD-1553, EIA-422)
- Excellent presentation skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Integration risk assessment skills (i.e., ability to balance between technical risk and cost)
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill in using Microsoft Office Applications including project; as well as experience with FPGA/ASIC design in a complex avionics application.
- Proficient writing skills (grammar/punctuation/spelling)
- Experience with Configuration Management and Supplier Management
- Ability to travel: Travel expectation of 10% – 25%
Skills & Qualifications:
- Ability to work independently and make logical decisions
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with ability to prioritize work and schedule
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to coordinate and work well with management, coworkers, and internal customers
- Strong problem solving skills
- Attention to detail but able to understand big picture
- Willingness to accept challenging work with positive attitude
- Flexibility to accept, learn and perform new job functions
- Committed to continuous improvement
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or Aerospace Engineering. Consideration will be given to candidates with a BS degree in other engineering disciplines with strong relevant experience
- BS degree with 10 years experience; MS degree with 7 years experience; or PhD with 5 years experience
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Orbital ATK Flight Systems Group provides products and services that span the launch, missile systems and aerospace markets. We are a premier producer of solid rocket propulsion systems and specialty energetic products; a leading provider of small and medium class space launch vehicles for Civil, DoD and Commercial missions; a major supplier of interceptor boosters and target vehicles for missile defense; and a world class manufacturer of composite primary and secondary structures for commercial and military aircraft and launch vehicles.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years