Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Director of Communications
Orbital ATK is currently seeking an experienced Director of Communications to provide leadership to our Flight Systems Group. The position will report to the Group President of Flight Systems Group (FSG), and will be located in Chandler, AZ.
With annual revenues of over $4.5 billion and approximately 14,000 employees across the United States, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure our customers accomplish their missions — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation systems for customers around the world, both as a prime contractor and merchant supplier. Its main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Orbital ATK Flight Systems Group provides products and services that span the launch, missile systems and aerospace markets. We are a premier producer of solid rocket propulsion systems and specialty energetic products; a leading provider of small and medium class space launch vehicles for Civil, DoD and Commercial missions; a major supplier of interceptor boosters and target vehicles for missile defense; and a world class manufacturer of composite primary and secondary structures for commercial and military aircraft and launch vehicles.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Work closely with Group President to develop an integrated internal and external communications and PR plan that supports the strategic objectives of the Group and is consistent with Corporate priorities.
• Maintain an acute awareness of the business units’ operations, priorities and milestones.
• Work with Corporate communications team to support enterprise-wide communications initiatives and crisis communications. Keep Corporate informed of Group communications priorities, strategies and tactics.
• Build and execute ongoing communications plans that encompass internal communications, branding, community relations, media and advertising.
• Coordinate all Group communications activities with division-level communicators to ensure consistency of messaging across all business units.
• Coordinate employee engagement efforts in the areas of community outreach and support for STEM to support company’s core values and enhance company’s brand as a good corporate citizen.
• Focus targeted branding at key external decision makers that can influence the organization’s ability to achieve strategic business growth objectives.
• Identify top messages each division would like communicated to specific external audiences and develop and execute an action plan to achieve message delivery.
• Ensure the organization’s accomplishments (technical achievements, etc.) receive good media coverage that includes the organization’s messages and reaches key audiences.
• Provide work direction and leadership to the communicators at the business level to maximize positive exposure in relevant trade publications and local media outlets, and play a central role in organizing media outreach at national and international trade shows.
• Develop and monitor metrics to assess communication deliverables and build effective working relationships with internal constituents.
• Develop and maintain relationships with media outlets, governmental entities and information providers locally and nationwide to raise the organization’s profile while supporting business objectives.
• Oversee creative concepts and design for collateral materials, videos and advertising. Develop and implement strategic advertising strategies.
• Organize and monitor press interviews with the Senior Leadership Team, providing media training and coaching as needed.
• Develop press kits and materials; write, edit, approve and distribute press releases as needed.
• Serve as a mentor/coach to communicators and others within the organization who are looking to develop and advance their careers.
• Ensure compliance with legal, human resources, Export/Import, company policies and brand standards, industry partners, and customers for communications as appropriate.
• Support internal stakeholders, such as Human Resources and senior leadership through internal communications activities and strategic business initiatives to ensure employee engagement and alignment.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
• Bachelor’s Degree in public relations, communications, journalism, English or a related field. Master’s degree and/or professional accreditation preferred.
• Minimum of 10 years of experience serving as an established, seasoned practitioner in increasingly responsible communications positions.
Demonstrated experience in achieving:
- Excellent media coverage for client’s technical accomplishments.
- Branding objectives with key external decision makers.
- Extensive use of media to get key client messages to external audience.
- Prioritization of key messages and matching with the most effective channels for communication.
- Experience leading teams, hiring, managing and developing budgets.
- Experience in the aerospace and defense industry.
- Demonstrated track record of working across a large and matrixed organization.
- A proven track-record of success driving positive earned media, and crisis communications counsel.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, excel at project management, lead diverse teams, provide strategic communications counsel to senior leaders, and be an excellent team player.
- Possess exceptional writing skills.
- Sophisticated understanding and experience in communications principles, theory, planning processes, execution tactics and a variety of communications platforms (e.g., print digital, visual, verbal, social, etc.).
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years