Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Sr. Staff Engineer
Orbital ATK is currently seeking an experienced Sr. Staff Engineer to provide leadership to our Mesa, AZ offices.
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
The Sr. Staff Engineer position is responsible for all aspects of technical leadership, technical expertise and technical execution for gun system product improvement and development, from concept through design, integration, test, delivery and support for a team of approximately 40 engineers. The Chief Engineer reports directly to the Director of Engineering and will work in close cooperation with other Engineering Managers. This position is located in Mesa, Arizona. Travel requirements are less than 10%.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Provide technical oversight of the gun control unit product line for new and existing medium caliber cannons.
- Work with business development to defining segment strategic direction, technology roadmaps and research and development planning.
- Support program managers by providing technical contract and schedule review, and by monitoring technical staffing needs, technical execution, and applied technical expertise for gun control units.
- Maintain Orbital ATK’s structured software and systems engineering process for development and sustainment of product line.
- Create a culture of technical excellence by upholding technical standards, challenging threats, and identifying and mitigating risks.
- Applies knowledge of advanced engineering and scientific methods, theories and research techniques in the investigation and solution of complex technical problems.
- Provide input and monitor engineering department budget and research and development planning.
- Act as the technical interface to external customers, and form working relationships with representatives of external technical organizations.
- Provide team management leadership and engineering direction to team members: set team role and performance expectations, provide input and on-going feedback into performance appraisals, encouraging excellence in performance and growth opportunities.
- Support Orbital ATK PES initiatives and lead continuous improvement activities within the overall engineering department.
- Serve as final technical design authority.
- BS degree in Software, Electrical or Systems Engineering
- 15+ years of experience
- Experience in leading engineers in product development projects and sustainment of legacy products for complex aerospace or defense systems.
- Strong electrical design experience with embedded real time software systems, electric motors and motor controls, solenoids, and sensors.
- Background in development of electrical architectures for motion controls and electronic component selection.
- Strong software design experience with CMMI compliant software processes. Integration of software into electrical/mechanic aerospace or defense systems.
- Demonstrated understanding of systems engineering processes to include system safety, reliability, and other specialty engineering activities within the product development process, MIL-STD-882 preferred.
- Familiar with Model based controls development utilizing Matlab/Simulink software toolset.
- Familiarity with complex mechanical systems to include complex gear trains, cams, springs, and clutches.
- Experience in planning and execution of integration and test of aerospace or defense system products, to include development, requirements specifications, design descriptions, test descriptions, qualification and environmental testing per DoD standards.
- Experience with six sigma tools for conducting failure investigations including Fault Trees, DOE’s and Monte Carlo simulations.
- Ability and experience with presenting complex technical concepts to audiences with a broad range of technical experience
- U.S. Citizen and be able to obtain a DoD Secret Clearance
- Position may require domestic and international travel
Orbital ATK Defense Systems Group is an industry leader in ammunition, precision and strike weapons, missile-warning solutions, and tactical rocket motors across air, sea and land-based systems. We are the largest U.S. producer of small-caliber ammunition, as well as a leading producer of medium- and large-caliber ammunition and medium-caliber gun systems. Orbital ATK Defense Systems also develops advanced capabilities for missile-defense interceptors, fuzing and warheads, weaponized special-mission aircraft, and propulsion/controls.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years