Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Senior Electrical Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Based on specific objectives, perform analysis, design, or test of complex designs without detailed direction from more senior engineers. Study design concepts and criteria to ascertain the engineering principles involved and with general direction, plan, prepare, and complete the design. Evaluate completed design with more senior engineers and other technical groups and make modifications necessary to achieve a design that satisfies requirements. Develop, coordinate, and conduct the test programs required to evaluate the design. May also oversee, with senior engineer oversight, component supplier design, analysis, manufacture, and test.
- Design, analysis, optimization, manufacturing, and test of antenna systems for wide variety of satellite programs.
- Ability to oversee the complete development and space-qualification of integrated antenna systems and components from performance definition to final spacecraft-level test, including cost, schedule, and technical responsibility.
- Generation of key procurement and hardware development documents including Performance Specifications, Interface Control Documents, Test Plans and Procedures, and Statements of Work.
- Technical assistance to Subcontracts in the negotiation of component specifications, deliverables, cost, and schedule.
- Subcontractor management and continuous technical monitoring throughout the procurement life cycle (some travel required).
- Integration and test support for the antenna systems including unit-level functional and environmental testing, spacecraft level RF range testing, and in-orbit checkout.
- Support to Business Development initiatives on antenna performance and cost estimates for rapid turn-around proposals.
- Candidate will be expected to have frequent interaction with Program Managers, the customer, and Systems Engineering.
- Candidate may be expected to provide hands-on, technical and supervisory leadership to a small team of engineers.
- Superior written and oral communication skills, comfort with customer interaction
- Experience in technical management of a team of engineers and mentoring more junior engineers
Education and Experience
BS in Engineering & 4 years of directly applicable experience or Masters in Engineering & 2 years. Key position requiring a minimum of 4 years of experience and demonstrated proficiency in the proposal, specification, design, analysis, and test of integrated antenna systems and components for satellites.
- Ability to formulate and define key antenna performance characteristics to meet customer requirements and programmatic constraints, including cost and schedule
- Design and analysis of a variety of antenna types including: reflectors, horns, wire antennas (e.g., helices), and arrays through modeling/simulation with a variety of industry-standard design tools, such as HFSS, NEC, Microwave Studio, MATLAB, and others.
- Experience with antenna range testing and data post-processing, including Far-Field, Near-Field, and Compact Range systems.
- Scheduling, budgeting, subcontractor management, and mechanical manufacturing interface support.
- Experience with development of space-qualified antenna systems
- Knowledge and familiarity with tools such as GRASP, POS, CHAMP
- Cost Account Management skills a strong plus
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 3-5 Years