Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Princ Test Technician
With annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Vibration & Mechanical Test Technician
Our San Diego, CA site is looking for a Principal Test Technician to join our team.
This position will support mechanical testing of composite structures in vibration, acoustic, and static load environments.The successful candidate will work with our experienced test team and perform precision mechanical and electrical test set ups, followed by the execution of vibration, acoustic, and/or static load testing of space flight hardware.
Typical testing projects include:
- Mechanical assembly of test fixtures, load application and restraint mechanisms, and integration of critical space flight hardware into test setup;
- Installation of test instrumentaton for acceleration, force, strain, and deflection;
- Execution of test per exacting procedrues and requirements;
- Documentation and report out
- 5+ years of experience working in a test laboratory conducting vibration, shock and/or structural mechanical testing
- Good understanding and knowledge of technical/engineering practices with an ability to interpret test procedures, specifications and drawings
- Experience in using computerized electronic measuring equipment, instrumentation &/or data acquisition systems
- Ability to interpret test requirements, standards and specifications
- Ability to work flexible hours, overtime, and weekends as needed based on demanding testing schedules.
- Ability to travel up to 25% to support off-site vibration testing
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Ability to interface and communicate with engineering test personnel
- Ability to complete vibration testing setup work per instructions
- Problem solving skills
- Knowledge of engineering theory as it relates to vibration, shock and mechanical testing and applications
- Hands-on experience with the operation and maintenance of computerized vibration control systems, data acquisition systems and vibration (shaker) exciters.
- Demonstrated high levels of proficiency in instrumentation and signal conditioning techniques
- Associate (2 year) technical degree
- Familiarity with composite structures
- Familiarity with thermal vacuum testing
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 5-8 Years
Education: High School/GED