Orbital ATK Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Princ Machinist - 2nd Shift (Composites)
Orbital ATK is an aerospace, defense, and commercial products company with operations in 21 states, Puerto Rico, and internationally. Orbital ATK delivers affordable innovation in developing and manufacturing highly engineered products and solutions to our customers around the world.
Orbital ATK is the world’s top producer of solid rocket propulsion systems and a leading supplier of military and commercial aircraft structures. It also specializes in small and micro-satellites, satellite components and subsystems, and lightweight space deployables and solar arrays.
Our San Diego, CA location is seeking a Principal Machinist for our 2nd shift. The hours for this position are 1pm-10pm and includes shift differential pay. The ideal candidate has 7-10 years of experience composite machining in an aerospace manufacturing environment.
- Sets up and operates machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, shapers, planers, and precision grinders to make metal / composite parts, mechanisms, tools, or machines to exacting tolerances and dimensions.
- Interprets blueprints, sketches/shop drawings, and engineering specifications; determines sequence of operations, number of cuts required, and method of setup.
- Uses a variety of machinist’s hand tools and precision measuring instruments; makes standard shop computations relating to dimensions of work, tooling, feeds, and speeds; measures, marks, and scribes dimensions and reference points to lay our stock for machining. Some machines may be numerically controlled (CNC).
- Provides training and mentorship to junior machinists.
- Set up, program and operate small and large CNC lathes, mills and a variety of conventional machines
- Knowledge of Fanuc, Haas, Fagor & Fadel CNC controls a plus
- Operate overhead crane
- Demonstrated ability to learn new skills and follow written procedures
- Demonstrated high degree of self-discipline to follow policies and procedures
- Ability to read, write and interpret written instructions, blueprints, shop drawings and engineering specifications in English
- Proficient use of basic shop arithmetic
- Ability to use machinist handbook to solve machining problems involving trigonometry and machine feeds and speeds depending on the material and tolerance specified
- Ability to multitask, and prioritize work
- Demonstrates strong attention to detail and is focused on accuracy
- Demonstrates initiative, self-starter, adaptable, and highly motivated for excellence
- Identifies opportunities for continuous improvement with a focus on customer service excellence.
- Excels in a team environment; applies teamwork attitude and work ethics
- Ability to work with minimal supervision including setting up and operating all machines commonly found in a machine shop, both conventional and CNC
- Responsible for demonstrating a high degree of concern for safety of self and others
- Good documentation and organization skills
- Standard computer skills including MS Office
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to lift a minimum of 25 lbs
- Ability to work flexible hours, overtime, and weekends as needed based on demanding manufacturing schedules
- Ability to be on feet for up to 9 hours each day
- High school degree or equivalent. Preferred AA degree in related field.
- Minimum 7-10 years diversified machining experience with large & small equipment in an aerospace manufacturing environment or related industry
- Experience in composite machining a plus
NOTE: This position may be filled at one lower level to include candidates with at least 5 Years of applicable experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Orbital ATK has the people, strategy, agility, and products to thrive in a highly dynamic national security and space environment. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to a diverse workforce.
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products – and your ideas – into the future.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years
Education: High School/GED