Orbital ATK Careers
Senior Production Planner/ Scheduler
With projected annual revenues in of nearly $4.5 billion, approximately 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Orbital ATK Space Systems Group designs, manufactures and operates small and medium-class spacecraft for communications, imaging, scientific, exploration and national security space applications. The Group is leading supplier of space components that power and enable satellites of all classes, provides technical engineering services to government agencies and laboratories, and is developing exciting new satellite servicing and advanced space flight technologies.
United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Our San Diego, CA location is seeking a Senior Production Planner/Scheduler to join our team.
Analyzes all scheduling reports including capacity base on work breakdown schedule; material requirements list and production plans for work centers.
Ensures major projects, program schedules and plans are horizontally and vertically integrated across company functional groups including program management, engineering, manufacturing, supply chain and quality.
A complete understanding of how a Bill of Materials is developed and managed through the product life cycle, including identifying make and buy parts and revision control of parts.
Advises management of the status of work in progress, material availability and production problems to ensure that personnel/equipment, materials, and services are provided as needed; schedules production equipment; confirms material supply and demands; prepares purchase requests for the production or purchase of components or parts based on a master production schedule, shop load, and inventory requirements
- Performs shop order release, closure in ERP system, and reconciliation of parts.
- Works production schedules for multiple programs and ensures actual production meets scheduled requirements by working with Value Stream Leaders to ensure work center delivery performance.
- Analyzes risks to identified solutions and bottlenecks, including forward and reverse scheduling methods, for schedule recovery.
- Manages schedule at work center activities using comprehensive program/milestone schedules through visual and system established controls.
- Updates visual management boards daily with detailed status by displaying schedule information relative to program(s) progress.
- Performs risk analysis, identifying and resolving critical path, and MRP logic conflicts.
- Perform work order variance analysis, review MRP execution, ensures accuracy of information, reconciles supply and demand, and validates master scheduling requirement.
- Proficiency with computer automated scheduling systems (shop floor control database/software)
- Proficiency with ERP/MRP Systems (Costpoint a plus)
- Proficiency with scheduling software (Dynafact a plus)
- Experience with Manufacturing Execution System (Solumina experience a plus)
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Project, MS Office, Access and other office information systems; possess an understanding of software engineering terminology
Skills and Knowledge:
- Must be familiar with short interval shop floor scheduling that is characteristic of job shop manufacturing
- Knowledgeable in planning, input/output control, product structures, bill of materials, routings, demand management, stockroom, purchasing and actual accounting systems
- Ability to develop and maintain program/project plans
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Self-directed, proactive
- BA/BS Production Management, Business Management, Industrial Engineering and/or Supply Chain Management preferred or a minimum of six years in the Aerospace and Defense Equivalent work experience.
- 2-3 years recent production control planning and scheduling experience within an aerospace manufacturing environment preferred.
- Manufacturing, Operations and/or Program Management experience highly desired.
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing, inventory, production, procurement and quality basics, engineering flows and ability to read technical data i.e., blue prints, schematics and other documents
- Microsoft Office Suite – Excel, Word, Visio and Powerpoint skills a must.
- Perform physical requirements of the position: using pallet jack or other equipment move parts weighing up to 45/50 lbs, as required.
- Ability to share own expertise with others effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrates understanding and is able to apply continuous improvement terminology/tools: PES, LEAN, Six Sigma principles/DFSS/Lean design principles, Value Stream, and Kaizen.
Orbital ATK is applying entrepreneurial thinking and commercial practices to deliver reliable, innovative and affordable products and services to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products – and your ideas – into the future. When encouraged to think beyond the ordinary, you’ll be amazed at what you can do!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 1-3 Years