Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Manager, Facilities and Environmental, Health & Safety
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Position Title: Manager, Facilities and Environmental, Health & Safety
Accountable for all aspects of both Facilities and Environmental, Health and Safety (EH&S) departments for the Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems, San Diego facility. Active involvement in both the leadership and daily operations of each area is required to achieve site goals and objectives and maintain necessary compliance with government regulations and corporate policies.
Vision / Leadership
- Communicate, manage and achieve site strategic and tactical goals for the Facilities and EH&S teams
- Direct leadership and development of the Facilities and EH&S personnel
- Provide cross-functional leadership by facilitating collaboration between departments to find real time solutions to internal constraints and/or external customer issues
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement, teamwork and disciplined root cause problem solving
- Intense focus and ownership of employee development, including recognition and discipline
- Support strategic initiatives that span multiple locations within Space Components Division
- Ownership of all Facilities, Environmental, Health and Safety activities and processes across the site. This includes the development and execution of all standard work activities (preventive maintenance, hazardous waste and chemical disposal, storm water monitoring, paint booth VOC logs, spare part inventories, capital expenditure planning, etc) and unplanned activities that require urgent attention (facility and/or equipment issues, employee near misses/injuries, etc)
- Accountable for meeting or exceeding the safety, quality, delivery, employee and cost expectations of internal and external customers. This includes managing and resolving constraints and ensuring timely and effective hand-offs through all product value stream and process center areas as well as supporting the site’s production scheduling process to balance and optimize shop floor execution in support of program schedules and customer deliveries.
- Planning, scheduling and management of various on-site contractors (mechanical, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, etc) for all facility/equipment maintenance and improvement activities
- Provide proactive EH&S support to all employees and operations, including training personnel, conducting investigations of incidents, reviewing new equipment installations, inspecting operations and procedures
- Define, measure and analyze results against key performance indicators (Safety and Environmental Scorecards, job hazard analyses, 5S audits, machine downtime, preventive maintenance performance) and then take appropriate actions to improve and better control processes
- Own, execute and continuously improve Daily Management processes (Daily Start-Ups, Obeya Meeting, Gemba Walks) among Facilities and EH&S teams. Follow escalation protocols to communicate/escalate key issues related to safety, quality, delivery, employee and cost upward to site leadership and downward into the organization.
- Ensure financial operating integrity by supporting financial planning, budgeting and forecasting (direct labor yield, overhead rates, etc)
- Proactively strengthen the Facilities and EH&S teams through the performance management process, including individual and team goal setting, coaching and personnel development
- Establish and maintain department training requirements and deploy resources according to skill sets
- Proactively mentor key talent to assume increased responsibilities and ensure succession plans are in place or in development
- Advocate a safe, secure and ethical working environment that maintains compliance with federal, state and local government regulations (OSHA, EPA, ISO, DOT, permits, etc) in addition to corporate policies
- Ensure all required EH&S reporting to government agencies is properly submitted in a timely manner
- Utilize and improve Orbital ATK’s Quality Management System to achieve compliance and maintain certifications for AS9100 and NADCAP
- 10+ years’ experience within a manufacturing environment (aerospace preferred) with responsibilities for Facilities, Maintenance, EH&S.
- Minimum of 3 years in a leadership position with strong communication, interpersonal, organizational and decision making skills.
- Working knowledge of manufacturing equipment (autoclaves, ovens, CNC machines), facility maintenance fields (mechanic, millwright, pipefitter, HVAC) and facility build-out/expansion projects
- Working knowledge of federal, state and local environmental, health and safety regulations
- Proficient in MS Office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project)
- U.S. citizenship required
Bachelor’s Degree preferred or equivalent combined coursework and experience – Industrial Engineering, Facilities Management, Environmental, Health & Safety
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: +10 Years
Expertise: Health and Safety