Orbital ATK Careers
Sr Composites Manufacturing Engineer
Orbital ATK is an aerospace, defense, and commercial products company with operations in 21 states, Puerto Rico, and internationally. Orbital ATK delivers affordable innovation in developing and manufacturing highly engineered products and solutions to our customers around the world.
Orbital ATK Aerospace Group is the world’s top producer of solid rocket propulsion systems and a leading supplier of military and commercial aircraft structures. It also specializes in small and micro-satellites, satellite components and subsystems, and lightweight space deployables and solar arrays.
As a Manufacturing Engineer for the Orbital ATK Space Systems Group responsibilities will include both the planning and execution phases of flight hardware fabrication for a wide variety of aerospace applications.
- Plans, directs, and coordinates manufacturing processes on factory (manufacturing) floor.
- Develops, evaluates, and improves manufacturing methods, utilizing knowledge of spacecraft design, composite materials and parts, composite fabrication and processes, tooling and production equipment capabilities, composite assembly methods, and quality control standards.
- Designs manufacturing workflow, layout of equipment and workspace for maximum efficiency.
- Communicates with design staff regarding product design and tooling to ensure efficient production methods.
- Develops purchase requests and partners with vendors to determine product specifications of equipment, materials, or parts, and evaluates products according to specifications and quality standards.
- Support proposal effort by estimating production times and related costs to provide information for management decisions.
- Communicates with management, engineering, and other staff regarding manufacturing capabilities, and other considerations to facilitate production processes.
- Applies statistical methods to estimate future manufacturing requirements and potential.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering and a minimum of 3 years of experience in advanced composite manufacturing (aircraft/aerospace), fabrication, and assembly processes. Experience must include lay-up, machining, assembly and inspection of composite flight materials and hardware.Skilled at representing an organization as a technical contact and interacting with teams and leadership on important technical elements of the build, assembly, and manufacturing
- Knowledge and application of continuous improvement philosophy and tools.
- Expertise with problem solving, including identify root cause and implement technical solutions to ensure product quality and improve process.
- Skilled at developing program bill of materials (BOM).
- Ability to read, interpret and create engineering drawings.
- Prefer knowledge and application of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T).
- Strong organizational skills in managing time, projects and resources.
- Effective team communication, collaboration, and influencing others skills.
- Strong computer skills and presentation development and delivery skills.
- Applicants must be U.S. Citizens.
- Prefer CAD experience (NX-10/Team-center or other CAD experience).
Physical and/or Additional Requirements
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime as well as weekends when needed.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods – 8 hours min.
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and being able to maneuver in tight spaces.
- Physically able to handle items weighing up to 40lbs (unassisted).
NOTE: Position may be filled at one lower level with 1-2 years related experience and BS, Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering.
At Orbital ATK, our strategy is to deliver affordable innovation to our customers and grow our core areas while harnessing new technologies that will take our products - and your ideas - into the future. You'll be amazed at what you can do! Orbital ATK offers a fast-forward environment for analytical and creative thinkers. Our organization is built on a foundation of outstanding talent and is committed to growing the skills of our workforce. Orbital ATK employees experience challenges of national and international significance that can't be overstated. United in pride and shared goals, Orbital ATK employees come from diverse backgrounds and work together to deliver innovative solutions. Work with the best and unleash your potential. If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 3-5 Years