Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Careers
Sr. Mechanical Engineer - Facility, Maintenance, Operations and Safety
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people’s lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation’s history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they’re making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking an experienced Mechanical Engineer with a strong background in Facility Maintenance, Operations and Safety for the Ronkonkoma, New York office. This is a unique hands on support role that works in conjunction with other engineering disciplines. .
The Facility Maintenance, Operations and Safety engineer will be responsible for the oversight of the test laboratories support systems, including the maintenance, reliability and safety of the testing infrastructure. The Facility Engineer will oversee and coordinate with the Facility maintenance personnel who maintain and service the facility air and vacuum systems, gas and liquid supply systems and piping, and electrical systems that support test operations within the lab.
This role requires the understanding of pressurized systems, including ASME code applicability for the design and maintenance of high pressure systems. This includes the ability to design a system per applicable code standards, develop requirements, size system components and perform any required analysis, specify hardware, develop schematics, prepare design reviews and manage installation.
This role includes maintaining and executing the facility systems maintenance schedule, retaining records and maintenance forms, working with Facility Technician and Test Engineering Department for the scheduling of maintenance, and performing evaluations of the systems to determine what services might need to be performed, as well as analyzing the systems operational efficiencies and safety and providing recommendations for improvements. The individual will review and maintain maintenance logs and budgets, and complete the required documentation necessary as required for proper records. This individual will work with the Test Engineering Department to ensure facility systems meet test program schedules and requirements.
This individual will also be responsible for maintaining the facility systems documentation, including schematics and bill of materials, material compatibility research, and failure modes analysis. This includes the specification and ordering of replacement hardware. This individual will also be responsible for managing facility capital projects, reporting status and budget to management.
In addition to the duties defined above, the individual will have additional responsibilities in NY Safety and Environmental. As part of this role, the individual will be responsible for understanding any Federal, local, Northrop Grumman safety and environmental requirements and ensuring the facility is in compliance. This individual will be responsible for developing and managing a safety-training program for employees. They will also be responsible for reviewing program test plans and rig hardware from a safety perspective and attending program meetings to provide recommendations. This role also includes serving as the site point of contact for corporate and other location EHS leads, overseeing hazardous waste disposal and monitoring waste handling.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Management of capital projects to schedule and budget.
- Identify cost reduction opportunities within facility operations.
- Maintain Facilities files, such as: misc. project spreadsheets, facility information package, and Share Point site
- Participate in design reviews for new and modified facilities, processes, equipment and tooling for safety-regulated compliance to help ensure the safety of the employees and the process.
- Develop and oversee annual facility maintenance schedule
- Lead Facility IPT Team.
- Proactively seek out improvements for the facility.
- Schedule and lead safety related training courses.
- Lead documented safety audits to ensure implemented precautions are being followed.
- Writes and updates safety programs, manuals and procedures.
- Provides accurate and timely information to management on safety issues.
- Supports AS9100 Audits
- Conducts internal audits to demonstrate compliance.
- Embraces change and manage conflict to promote a healthy working environment
Education and Experience
Requires BS in Engineering & 4 years or Masters in Engineering & 2 years of experience in complimentary position(s)
- U.S. Citizen
- Experience with ASME B31.3 Process Piping
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a team player.
- Strong Project Management skills.
- Excellent problem solving, written and verbal communications skills.
- Self-disciplined and able to work independently
- Ability to prioritize a variety of activities for timely response and results
- Able to read engineering documentation and inspect drawings and parts lists, inspection plans, and supplemental instructions.
- Understanding and application of safety regulations, standards, principles, theories, and techniques.
- Familiarity with OSHA regulations and compliance requirements
- Competent in the use of the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Solid modeling experience. Pro E / Unigraphics / AutoCAD
- Experience in lean manufacturing
- Experience in aerospace industry
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Job Type: Full Time
Desired Travel: less than 25%
Years of Experience: 3-5 Years
Expertise: Reliability, ISO 9001:2008, Safety, AS9100, Audits, Quality Assurance, Quality Engineering, Blueprints, Troubleshooting, CAD, Machining Operations, Mechanical assembly, Manufacturing performance measurement tools, Compliance, Continuous Improvement, Mechanical Engineering, Process Engineering, Engineering, Facilities, Equipment Repair, Process Management, Government Regulations, Cross-functional Leadership, Customer Focus, Written/Verbal Communication, Problem Solving, ITAR, Prioritization, Communication Skills, Presentation Skills, Engineering